S
m
s
Rokard Rokard
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
10 years ago
Hi!

I have an abscess inside of my nose, where the nose bone begin and it almost completely block the nostril. Might it be cancer or maybe something not so dangerous?  Slight Smile I know it's hard to make a diagnosis without a picture. Hope someone would like to list the options. Thanks in advance!

Usually my nose is dry and at the moment the walls inside are red-ish. May be useful information...

Best wishes
Rokard
Read 2849 times
13 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
AlexxAlexx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
Top Poster
10 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 140 words.

Related Topics

Rokard Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks for your reply!

Today the abcess have shrunken in size and is almost gone, do you still think I need to visit a doctor? Maybe it was only something temporary?

Best regards
Rokard
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
If I were you, I wouldn't go to the doctor since the abscess is almost gone. If it grows, or if it doesn't disappear soon, then you should visit a doctor.
(Note that I try to give safe advices because I'm not a doctor yet)

Maybe it was only something temporary?
I don't think an abscess can be permanent.

Don't be surprised if it occurs again (in your nose or anywhere else). If it occurs again somewhere at your face (especially within the triangle), I would advice you to visit a doctor.
Rokard Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, Rokard
Thank you very much! You eased my mind! Good advices and I'll keep the triangle in mind, I didn't know it could be that serious. Do you know if this is common? Slight Smile
Post Merge: 10 years ago

This is creepy, earlier today it had shrunk, i think it were right after my work out, But I wanted to double check and now it's gone to it's "original" big size again. It's confusing why it changed size so fast...
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Do you know if this is common?
I think it's not very rare.

This is creepy, earlier today it had shrunk, i think it were right after my work out, But I wanted to double check and now it's gone to it's "original" big size again. It's confusing why it changed size so fast...
The reason it grows is the inflammation and the collection of pus. It means that the region is still infected.

I'd say go to the doctor, he will probably prescribe some antibiotics and you will get rid of this abscess.
wrote...
10 years ago
thank you so much for the answers, I have the same thing happening to me too and I was so concerned with what was going on, thanks again!
Rokard Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I went to the doctor and got some cortisone-spray. After 4 days of use the mucosa is still swollen and irritated. My head hurts all day, it feels heavy, so i also take aspirin and try to pressure equalize.

Some day it's smaller but another it's back to its original size... Being a molecular biologist i suspect an bacterial infection!

Cortisone should take some time to reach maximum effect but how long? And when would be a good time to meet the doctor again if it wont get better?. Now it's visible in both nostrils that the mucosa is swollen on both sides.

I said to the doctor that I have effort asthma, but I've never had these kind of problems.

Thanks, Rokard
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Take a look to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_polyp
Note that, sometimes it is associated with adult asthma.
Also: Symptoms of polyps include nasal congestion, sinusitis, anosmia (loss of smell), and secondary infection leading to headache.
And: Nasal polyps are most often treated with steroids or topical, but can also be treated with surgical methods. (cortisone is steroid)

It might be coincidence, but some parts conflict with the description you made.

Also check this:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Polyps-nose/Pages/Treatment.aspx
Specifically:

It can take up to five weeks of using a nasal spray before the symptoms of nasal polyps improve.

However, where side effects do occur, the most commonly reported ones are: headache, sore throat, sneezing, nosebleeds

I think that the doctor should've informed you how long you will have to continue the treatment before you see any result. I can't give you any medical advice on that matter because I'm not a doctor.
Rokard Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you very much!

Today im still using the spray. However the abscesses are still growing and it seems they are multiplying. Now i have small absecesses like small "volcanoes" next to the bigger one, the one in the other nostril also have been growing. Some day it may shrink a little but then again it become bigger and i still have a lot of pressure in my sinuses. It feels like someone punched me in the face. Head feeling heavy and i also have problems with asthma every day now.

The doctor i got didn't tell me when to return if the medicin didn't help, which i think is not good.

Do you think i should go to the doctor again since my condition is getting worse? The heavy breathing is really starting to get on my nerves.

Thx
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Do you think i should go to the doctor again since my condition is getting worse? The heavy breathing is really starting to get on my nerves.

It's about two weeks now, so since the condition is getting worse, it would be a good time to revisit your doctor.

Just remember this time to ask him how long the treatment will last, and what you should expect (like, when will the abscesses start shrinking, and what if they keep growing etc).
Rokard Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you very much! So shall I do!
wrote...
9 years ago
How did you know it was an abscess?  Abscesses and neoplasms are different. 
Rokard Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I don't... I'm not a doctor. But my doctor believe it's nasal polyps Slight Smile After some weeks with medicin it is still not changing. The last 2 days i tried something against allergic reactions and it seem to be changing for the better. Let's hope it'll dissapear the coming days   Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  944 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?