r
d
l
a
The10thDoctor The10thDoctor
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Mitosis  Cells that contribute to general body growth and development must be like their parents to assure consistent body function -- skin produces skin, bone produces bone, etc.  This consistency requires maintenance of precise chromosome numbers.  The process can be illustrated with this equation, in which the original number of chromosomes is called 2n (twice the number of pairs).  Solve:

2n  x  2   2  =  ______

Returning to the roommate analogy, what has happened to the directory (2n)?

Meiosis  Cells that will be used for sexual reproduction (sperm and ova),  on the other hand, must not have the same chromosome number as their parents.  What would happen to the chromosome count in a fertilized ovum if both sex cells had contained the customary number of chromosomes?

Specifically, each sex cell must contain only half the usual number of chromosomes.  To illustrate, solve this equation:

2n  x  2    2    2  =  ______

In the roommate analogy, what has happened to the directory?

Read 4156 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Mitosis  Cells that contribute to general body growth and development must be like their parents to assure consistent body function -- skin produces skin, bone produces bone, etc.  This consistency requires maintenance of precise chromosome numbers.  The process can be illustrated with this equation, in which the original number of chromosomes is called 2n (twice the number of pairs).  Solve:

2n  x  2   2  =  ______

Returning to the roommate analogy, what has happened to the directory (2n)?

Meiosis  Cells that will be used for sexual reproduction (sperm and ova),  on the other hand, must not have the same chromosome number as their parents.  What would happen to the chromosome count in a fertilized ovum if both sex cells had contained the customary number of chromosomes?

Specifically, each sex cell must contain only half the usual number of chromosomes.  To illustrate, solve this equation:

2n  x  2    2    2  =  ______

In the roommate analogy, what has happened to the directory?

I have trouble identifying the symbol between the 2's.
I highlighted it  Upwards Arrow Upwards Arrow Upwards Arrow
Do you mind explaining us what it is?
The10thDoctor Author
wrote...
10 years ago
2n  x  2 / 2  =  ______

2n  x  2  / 2  /  2  =  ______

Its suppose to be the dividing symbol.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I think what the exercise wants to show us is that, during cell division, the chromosomes are replicated (2n*2=4n) but at the end of cell division, the chromosomes are shared between the 2 cells (4n/2=2n)
That way, the number of chromosomes are maintained (2n). As the exercise says:
This consistency requires maintenance of precise chromosome numbers.

With the same logic, during meiosis, the chromosomes are replicated (2n*2=4n), then they are shared between the divided cells at meiosis I (4n/2=2n) and then they are shared again between the cells at meiosis II (2n/2=n)
That way, each sex cell has half the chromosomes (n). As the exercise says:
Specifically, each sex cell must contain only half the usual number of chromosomes.

It sure is a bit confusing because it's too simple.
The10thDoctor Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you! I thought I was doing it wrong but I guess not lol, your a better instructor then mine.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1070 People Browsing
 125 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431