r
d
l
a
icandy310 icandy310
wrote...
Rep: 2 1
10 years ago
Case Study: Are Great Kenyan Runners Born or Made?
Alison found her seat on the flight from New York to Nairobi. An older woman sat down next to her and smiled. “I’m a nervous flyer” the older woman confessed. “Do you mind if I talk to you while the plane is taking off so I have a distraction?”
“Not at all,” said Alison. “What should we talk about?”
“Well, we could talk about the trip! Are you on vacation?”
“No,” Alison replied, “I’m going to work at a training camp for runners in Kaptagat. I’m an exercise physiologist.”
“Oh, how interesting! We Kenyans are great runners. I was never a very good athlete myself, but then, I’m not a Kalenjin. You know, in Kenya, we call them ‘the running tribe.’ They have the best genes for running!”
“I’ve heard that,” Alison said, “but I’m not totally sure it’s true.”
“Oh really, why is that?”
“There have been quite a few studies done to understand why Kenyan athletes have been so dominant when it comes to distance running, but nobody has really shown that Kenyans or Kalenjin athletes have a clear genetic advantage. There was one study that looked at the amount of mitochondrial oxidative enzymes in the muscles of Kenyan and Scandinavian runners and non-runners, which is something that has been shown to increase the body’s ability to use fat during exercise, and which is higher in distance runners, but they didn’t see any difference between Kenyans and Scandinavians, either among the runners or the untrained group. A lot of other studies have also failed to find innate differences between Kenyans or Kalenjin and athletes of other ethnicities.”
“That’s interesting. So why do you think Kenyans are such good runners if it isn’t in our genes?”
“I don’t know! It might be in the genes, and maybe we just haven’t found it yet, but I think more likely it’s something in the culture or the environment.”
“Maybe it’s because most Kenyans live in the mountains. And a lot of the great Kenyan runners are from rural areas and grow up having to run or walk long distances to school. And you know, lots of Kenyan kids grow up wanting to be the next Lornah Kiplagat or the next Kip Keino, but the American kids want to be LeBron James!” Use the information from this sheet and any other reliable resources available to you to answer the following questions.

Questions

1. Why is mitochondrial oxidative enzyme content considered to be a measure of lipid utilization, and why might it specifically be helpful for an endurance athlete to have high levels of these enzymes?
2. Based on what you have learned about muscle fatigue in this module, propose a mechanism by which some people (Kenyan or otherwise) might be genetically predisposed to be better distance runners than others.
3. Based on what you learned about muscle fiber type in this module, propose a mechanism by which some people might be genetically predisposed to be better distance runners than others.
Read 3225 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Can you please provide an update as to what you ended up writing?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, jje5027
Did anyone come up with the answers yet?
Post Merge: 10 years ago

This is what I think for number one.. thoughts?

Mitochondrial oxidative enzyme content is considered to be a solid measure of the body’s utilization of lipids. World class runners operate and use about 80-90 percent of their total oxygen maximum during their races. In addition, when exercising at this maximum, up to 95% of the fuel that drives them comes form ATP made form carbohydrates. This is either form blood glucose or glycogen. With that being said, the energy that comes from carbohydrates is can be oxidized aerobically or anaerobically. Quickly during a marathon race, the carbohydrates are used up. It is oxidized aerobically in the mitochondria fairly rapidly. Given how much Kenyans run, or any marathon runner for that matter, they need a diet high in carbohydrates (Kelsall, 2012). However, that is not enough. When the runners exhaust all of their carbohydrate created ATP/energy, the body looks for energy sources in a pinch. When it comes to this point, the body can create ATP from fats or lipids. “However, glucose alone can- not provide sufficient ATP for endurance athletes such as marathon runners. To meet their energy demands, they rely on the energy stored in fats” (Silverthorn, 2013). The mitochondrial oxidative enzymes help the runners get their ATP quickly and efficiently, and it makes sure it gets enough. That is why it is considered to be so helpful for endurance runners to have high levels of these enzymes, and why it is a solid measurement of lipid utilization.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
It sounds good, but very simply, the mitochondria is where ATP is made, so it'd make sense that the mitochondrial oxidative enzyme is associated with metabolism, in this case lipids.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
answer to question: 3

We have 2 classes of muscle fiber type: Sow Twitch and Fast twitch
Slow twitch muscle fibers are more efficient at using oxygen as fuel (ATP) and sustain longer periods of aerobic activity than other types of fibers. They can contract for long periods of time, but are weak. Therefore, long distance runners, kenyans,  have a greater proportion of slow-twitch fibers.

Fast twitch fibers carry less oxygen and only work with short periods of anaerobic activity (activities that require your muscles to burn glycogen) before becoming exhausted.  They have the greatest potential for strength and for gaining size. These athletes, not kenyans, can sprint, power lift, and do strength training
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1081 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?