t
i
r
r
GaiaGirl95 GaiaGirl95
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
Not bashing nerds or anythin', heck I'm one ) it just seems nerds are so bright and intellectual, yet, I've known dozens and they do not know how to swim, or swim like rocks. I'm a nerd myself and the exception, but I know a lot of other nerds and none of them can swim at all. Can someone tell me why this is? Some are in their 20's, and they too cannot swim. Is this normal? I first assumed all nerds could swim because they are bright. In 2011 a guy I knew named Michael Hilling (19) drowned when he jumped/fell off a seawall to retrieve a water bottle his girlfriend had dropped. He could not swim and so he drowned. Was described as being very bright and matched all the characteristics of a nerd. I happened to know him.
Read 2786 times
31 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
There is not a valid scientific term "nerd". Therefore, the question cannot be answered.

it just seems nerds are so bright and intellectual
I'm a nerd myself
Really?... Come on...
wrote...
10 years ago
Being a nerd has nothing to do with not knowing how to swim. However, some "nerds" that I know aren't that fond of swimming because they just lack the interest in physical activity.
wrote...
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Really?... Come on...

Face with Stuck-out Tongue

Nerds, not knowing how to swim? What's happening here?!
me1
wrote...
10 years ago
hhehehe, as the other responder said, nerd is a label.
and you could say michael phelps is a nerd in swimming.
point is, almost everyone could swim if they take the time to put their books down and go to a large body of water and learn how to swim.
just this random person
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
they say nerds are smart yet they consistently do not know how to swim. i used to know dozens of nerds. none could swim.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, duddy
they say

Who's 'they'?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
10 years ago
I know this is an offtopic thread but isn't this a bit too off? o.o
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
''they' is themselves, and other people described him as being very bright.
What I don' t get is if nerds are allegedly very smart, how come they don't know how to swim (i know lots.. none can swim, and others agree with me) ? swimming is really simple.. and important..
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Swimming is learned, it's not innately inscribed in our genes, like it is in other animals, such as dogs.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
bipedal animals in general need to learn how to swim since animals walking on four legs dont have to use effort to re coordinate themselves while swimming and they just walk in the water to swim. chimps, gorrilas, etc cant swim naturally.

what i dont get is if 'nerds' are supposed to be very smart, why is it that most of them don't learn how to swim . it seems important.
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
That's a personal choice, don't you think?
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
yes but i dont understand why like 95% of them dont learn. its a very consistent thing ive observed
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
It's a poor correlation. Most children learn how to swim when they are very young, before they realize their intellectual potential. In some families, parents encourage their children to learn how to swim by signing them up for swimming lessons. IQ and swimming are two unrelated variables.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1099 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370