r
d
l
a
GaiaGirl95 GaiaGirl95
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
10 years ago
I were to obtain a powder of the enzyme which converts a substrate to hydrogen peroxide, and I dropped this powder into a concentrated (30-50%) solution of its substrate (with the amount of enzyme needed for the most rapid reaction)? There would be quite an amount of heat I assume since a similar reaction is displayed in the bombardier beetle, only we are forming hydrogen peroxide instead of catalysing its decomposition. the reaction chamber gets heated to boiling point within a few milliseconds when the enzymes and the substrate meet.

an estimate of how concentrated the hydrogen peroxide may be?
HP is reactive and an oxidant and the solution contains organic molecules, so I'm wondering if there may be some fire hazard by mixing an enzyme powder +  substrate that when combined form HP.

Thanks
Read 1045 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
I were to obtain a powder of the enzyme which converts a substrate to hydrogen peroxide, and I dropped this powder into a concentrated (30-50%) solution of its substrate (with the amount of enzyme needed for the most rapid reaction)?

It would eventually reach a peak because the ratio of enzyme to substrate will be skewed. The only substrates I can see would work here would be pure oxygen and pure hydrogen.

2 H2 (g) + O2 (g) Rightwards Arrow 2 H2O (l) H = –571.6 kJ (not sure how correct this is). I'm assuming that as soon as the chemical is formed, it would destroy the rest of the enzymes present, preventing it from moving forward. As a result, my predictions is that there wouldn't be a "fire hazard by mixing an enzyme powder +  substrate that when combined form HP."
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, GaiaGirl95
There's an enzyme which converts fatty acid into hydrogen peroxide (Acyl-coa oxidase and fatty acid oxidase I think they were named?). the human metabolome database clearly lists HP as an enzymatic byproduct. what do you mean by '' I'm assuming that as soon as the chemical is formed, it would destroy the rest of the enzymes present''?

2 hydrogen peroxide is a byproduct of fatty acid metabolism. its not in high concentration but I'm wondering if the enzymes would survive their own reactions if they had enough substrate to produce concentrations of hydrogen peroxide above, say, 20%

because in this scenario I would be dumping a powder of this enzyme into a solution of its substrate with no catalase in the solution. just 70% water and 30% its substrate.
Logically, due to the concentrations present,HP would be created very rapidly. thermal denaturation above boiling temperatures denatures protein within nanoseconds. Does the same apply for chemical denaturation?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
There's an enzyme which converts fatty acid into hydrogen peroxide (Acyl-coa oxidase and fatty acid oxidase I think they were named?).

No there isn't.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, GaiaGirl95
mmmm yes there is.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-09/938519528.Bc.r.html

D-amino acid oxidase and acyl-CoA oxidase
as well as Polyamine oxidase http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC166856/
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
You're saying there is an enzyme that converts this:

to this:

Neutral Face
Tralalalala Slight Smile
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Yes!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC166856/

More than one actually.. Polyamine Oxidase, Acl-Coa oxidase, D-amino acid oxidase..
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC166856/

This is for plants Undecided
Tralalalala Slight Smile
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Acl-Coa oxidase, D-amino acid oxidase exist in humans.
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
Acl-Coa oxidase, D-amino acid oxidase exist in humans.

Where is it produced? I.e. what tissue/organ?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
The Human Metabolome database doesn't say that.
But it IS created in human cells by enzymes.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
The Human Metabolome database doesn't say that.
But it IS created in human cells by enzymes.

Different tissues express different proteins, so it does matter quite a lot. That's why our brain looks different than our hand - both are human cells.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1088 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?