s
r
d
l
a
lawyerflaw lawyerflaw
wrote...
13 years ago
What's the difference between DNA primase and RNA primase? And which is used in DNA replication?

Read 15985 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
hey Author
wrote...
13 years ago
hey I came across ur question through google, thought i would share some knowledge Slight Smile

okay... As the names suggest, RNA primase only works to build RNA, while DNA primase can only work to build DNA... primases generally initiate DNA replication by synthesizing short RNA primers on single-stranded DNA (ssDNA) that are then extended by the replicative DNA polymerase(s). remember that primers are required to start the new dna strand being built, they are then removed by other enzymes because rna primers include nucleotides that are not found in dna.
lawyerflaw Author
wrote...
13 years ago
hey I came across ur question through google, thought i would share some knowledge Slight Smile

okay... As the names suggest, RNA primase only works to build RNA, while DNA primase can only work to build DNA... primases generally initiate DNA replication by synthesizing short RNA primers on single-stranded DNA (ssDNA) that are then extended by the replicative DNA polymerase(s). remember that primers are required to start the new dna strand being built, they are then removed by other enzymes because rna primers include nucleotides that are not found in dna.

Highlighted in red.. so is that DNA primase or RNA primase?
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
rna primase has to do with making rna
dna primase has to do with making new dna strands

DNA primases catalyse the synthesis of the short RNA primers on single stranded (ss) DNA templates that are used by DNA polymerase to initiate the synthesis of Okazaki fragments on the lagging strand
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1036 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 328