t
S
m
s
GaiaGirl95 GaiaGirl95
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
9 years ago
For example, if there were a higher concentration of proteins in the cystol than in the mitochondria, do these proteins (enzymes) diffuse into the mitochondria? (And does the same occur for a very high concentration of enzymes inside the mitochondria, with the proteins diffusing outwards?)

Proteins (to the best of my knowledge) are not lipid soluble. This did come up as a coursework question, so I'm wondering how this happens.
Read 693 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
Hello again...

For example, if there were a higher concentration of proteins in the cystol than in the mitochondria, do these proteins (enzymes) diffuse into the mitochondria?

The mitochondrial membrane is not permeable to large molecules like proteins, even though there might be a concentration gradient.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I mean there are proteins on orgenelles which allow proteins to go in and out
So I'm wondering if too many proteins would cause them to diffuse out
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
True, membrane-bound organelles do have transport proteins, but these are designed for smaller molecules like water (aquaporins) and glucose (glucose transporter). No way would proteins diffuse - as far as I know.
GaiaGirl95 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
yes im aware they cannot passively defuse.

but there are protein ''gates'' on the membrane of organelles which allow proteins to pass in and out

is this a form of diffusion? would the proteins pass out of an organelle through these gates if there was a higher concentration than other areas?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
is this a form of diffusion? would the proteins pass out of an organelle through these gates if there was a higher concentration than other areas?

Not by definition, no. Proteins move in-and-out of a cell via exocytosis most often.
wrote...
9 years ago
Proteins are degraded by proteosomes. If there is a problem marking proteins by ubiquitilyzation to be destroyed by the proteosomes then proteins may build up.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  959 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308