r
d
l
a
timmyeddie timmyeddie
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Why does a heterozygous cross for one allele result in a 1:2:1 genotype and a 3:1 phenotype?

Read 285 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
These are the ratios for a typical heterozygous monohybrid cross.  For example, if Aa were crossed with Aa you would get the following gametic combinations: Aa, Aa, AA, aa.   Recall that phenotype is the expressed trait and genotype is the actual genetic composition.
For phenotypic ratios: Aa, Aa, AA all express the dominant trait
   ratio here is 3/4
And only aa expresses the recessive trait (because recessive alleles must be homozygous recessive be expressed).
   ratio here is 1/4
So the overall PHENOTYPIC ratio is 3:1
For genotypic ratio, we must look to see which alleles are the same and which differ:
   We have 2 Aa, 1 AA, and 1 aa
This is why the GENOTYPIC ratio is 1:2:1

**I really hope this helps!

Side note: memorize these ratios, they can help recognize future patterns in genetics.  I would also learn the ratios for a typical heterozygous dihybrid cross as well!
Source  Genetics Student
timmyeddie Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you and I appreciate the tip about memorizing this.  Your explanation helps me a lot…
wrote...
10 years ago
No problem.  I personally found genetics to be very intimidating when I took it, but once you get the hang of it the material really isn't all that bad!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  907 People Browsing
 153 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741