t
i
r
r
Brainiac Brainiac
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I am bothered by a question I asked myself some time in the past,but I never found an answer.
In modern times,the pressure to look good by media and society is stronger than ever.Everywhere you look you see comercials with beautiful men and women,comercials about products that in one way or another enchance someone's physical appearance.Recently I even saw a comercial for bottled water in which they apply that dehydration makes you look drasticly worse...
But why? Why is good physical appearance becoming oh-so important and praised? Then I said to myself: " Well,all living things just want the best possible genes for their offspring".

So my question is: Do people that modern society percieves as sexualy appealing i.e. beautiful,good-looking etc. really have the best genes that they could provide to their offspring?

And what do I mean by "best genes"?

I'll explain.

1. Their offspring would be more intelligent.Let's take two 5-year old kids of the same sex from different families that had very similar conditions in which they were growing up.Now we give them identical training for a test that they are about to take.The kid that scored better on the test obviously has more inherited intelligence.

2. Their offspring will be more resistant to pathogens.

3. Their offspring is more physicaly stronger,has good-functioning internal organs and are less likely to get sick from any kind of disease that's not caused by pathogens.

Is there some reasearch done on this subject? If anyone knows any usefull links,plese share them.And I'd really like to read what other people think about this,so even if your opinions are based on non-existent scientific proof,I still want to hear them.Thanks!
Read 386 times
3 Replies