t
i
r
r
kvm kvm
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
A member of the swim team routinely hyper ventilates before a meet, as he says, "to sock some more oxygen into my lungs so I can swim longer without having to breathe." First of all, what basic fact about oxygen loading has he forgotten (a lapse leading to false thinking)? Second, how is he jeopardizing not only his time but his life?
Read 286 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
"Harry has forgotten that It's the CO2 level, and not the O2 level, that causes a person to have the urge to breathe. In other words, once the CO2 level in the blood is high enough, the brain will trigger a breathing response, causing the person to try to gasp for air. Harry is jeopardizing his time and life because Hyperventilation itself reduces the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood to below its normal level, raising the bloods ph value, initiating constriction of the blood vessels which supply the brain, and preventing the transport of certain electrolytes necessary for the function of the nervous system."

Source - http://quizlet.com/15930937/chapter-22-respiratory-clinical-questions-flash-cards/
wrote...
10 years ago
When alveolar ventilation is excessive, more carbon dioxide will be removed from the blood stream than the body can produce. This causes the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood stream to fall and produces a state known as hypocapnia (too little carbon dioxide in the blood stream). The body normally attempts to compensate for this metabolically. If excess ventilation cannot be compensated metabolically, it will lead to a rise in blood pH.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1394 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328