a
t
i
r
r
fosmanali01 fosmanali01
wrote...
9 years ago
A sinusoidal function, y = a sinb(x - c) + d has a maximum point at ( pi/4 , 3 ) and a minimum point at ( -pi/4 , -1 ). The values of a, b, c,  and d are

I know what the values of a and d are:

a = 2
d = 1

What are the values of b and c?

Thanks for helping.
Read 1102 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
The period is pi if you take the difference between the max and min and multiple that by 2. Thus b is 0.5.

c is 0 since the max and min and equal distance apart.
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, metal_zelda
The period is pi if you take the difference between the max and min and multiple that by 2. Thus b is 0.5.

c is 0 since the max and min and equal distance apart.

I tried plugging pi/4 into your equation and I did not get the same maximum as in the opening post. I believe that b is actually omega (angular speed) rather than the period. If we solve it in this manner, b=2 (when b=2, the period is pi).

I also believe that c is the phase shift rather than the distance of the maximum and minimum. Solving the equation \(3=2\sin\Big(2(\frac{\pi}{4}-c)\Big)+1\) suggests that \(c=\pi*k\), where \(k\in \mathbb{z}\)

I plotted y=2sin(2(x-pi))+1 in mathematica and it seemed to fulfill the requirements of the initial problem (e.g. period of pi, maxima in proper places, etc.), but I'd like someone else to confirm it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1184 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204