t
i
r
r
geri0108 geri0108
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
9 years ago
Chromosomal translocations rarely result from breaks in the DNA at an exact gene boundary. Rather, the breaks often occur in the middle of genes, resulting in only part of each gene contributing to the chimeric protein. This is the case for the BCR-ABL chimeric protein.

[Chromosomal translocation associated with CML]
The function of the normal BCR protein is not known, but the fragment of the BCR protein in the chimeric protein is not thought to contribute directly to its oncogenic function. On the other hand, the ABL protein functions in the regulation of cell division, and mutations in such proteins often are related to cancer. Loss of part of the ABL gene in the translocation mutation converts the normal ABL proto-oncogene into the chimeric BCR-ABL oncogene.

To find the segment of the normal ABL protein that is part of the BCR-ABL chimeric protein, follow these instructions:

Scroll to the Alignments section.
    Find accession number NP_005148.2.
    From the alignment, identify which portion of the normal ABL protein is found in the BCR-ABL chimeric protein. Open Hint 1 if you’re not sure where to find that information.

Which segment of the normal ABL protein aligns with the query sequence? Provide your answer in this format: number of first amino acid, number of last amino acid. (For example, if the first amino acid is 23 and the last amino acid is 413, enter 23, 413.)
 Attached file 
(75.41 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 4350 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
acanc002,  jzgoda10,  ahaq,  2h1231,  i0608932,  biobio201313
- Master of Science in Biology