a
t
i
r
r
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
The ultimate summing up. Is our IQ preset in our genes? Is it something that we can't overfluence?

Yes, intelligence is genetics, but not entirely. Some people have good work ethics, which they acquire from their parents through example. But then you can argue that even "hard-work" is genetics Slight Smile
RikTelner Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Website luminosity? What?!

There is a website called Luminosity that claim to have games that can improve your memory - it's total nonsense. Yes, chess works, since it is all algorithm-based (basically logical mathematics - if x occurs, do this, else, do otherwise). The more you play, they better you will become at problem solving. Using your non-dominant arm stimulates both regions of your brain, especially the region that controls fine motor skills.

So starting playing chess, starting using both hands with great measures. What's up next?
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Like I said, just work on challenging your brain by playing logic/strategy games. I think they sell like a mini book of math puzzles at a game store that's pretty good. Try cryptology, too. This is when a message is written in codes and you try to figure it out. It's challenging for some, but after a while may even become enjoyable. All logic puzzles are great.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
9 years ago
Would taking IQ test in my own language "factologically" increase my IQ?
I know the verbal and non-verbal part. Non-verbal is just puzzles and speed of solving it.
Verbal though, has questions, which may hit my brain even more. Do you think it could bust up my "documented IQ" a bit? If yes, by how many? 1, 2, 5, 10?
RikTelner Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Would taking IQ test in my own language "factologically" increase my IQ?
I know the verbal and non-verbal part. Non-verbal is just puzzles and speed of solving it.
Verbal though, has questions, which may hit my brain even more. Do you think it could bust up my "documented IQ" a bit? If yes, by how many? 1, 2, 5, 10?

This question is actually mine. I wrote it, before I could realize I wasn't logged in. But it's genuine me.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Of course reading questions in your own language will help you understand them a lot more. It's hard to say quantitatively how much it would help, but surely it would.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
9 years ago
Now, how do I train that left part of brain? I know site which offers random algebra problems, which would help for mathematical part of that systematical side of brain. What about problem solving, is there like a, riddle generator? Without spoilers?

Whatever you do, do not use the website luminosity. Do you play chess? I found that it really helped me think abstract. Also, try to use your non-dominant hand lol

Ok, I'm definitely picking up chess when I retire. Do you think fighting games helps increase IQ too?
This forum is awesome.
RikTelner Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Now, how do I train that left part of brain? I know site which offers random algebra problems, which would help for mathematical part of that systematical side of brain. What about problem solving, is there like a, riddle generator? Without spoilers?

Whatever you do, do not use the website luminosity. Do you play chess? I found that it really helped me think abstract. Also, try to use your non-dominant hand lol

Ok, I'm definitely picking up chess when I retire. Do you think fighting games helps increase IQ too?

Fighting games? Like what Tekken or Mortal Combat? I don't think so. But I read somewhere to people who are more exposed to virtual violence are less sensitive to real world's violence, they slightly underestimate it.
wrote...
9 years ago
I don't think soo.
sorry but I don't have a good information about this topic
RikTelner Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I don't think soo.
sorry but I don't have a good information about this topic

Is your good information based upon your own experience with yourself as center of it?
I have pretty nice link right away: http://ecap.crc.illinois.edu/pubs/ivpaguide/summary-sheets/summary-early-violenceTV.pdf
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Like what Tekken or Mortal Combat?

I'm more of a Killer Instinct fan.
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
9 years ago
Such an interesting topic. The question whether IQ is limited by genetics or whether we can improve the logical side of brain sounds fascinating.

I know this is probably not related to IQ test, but i'd like to share this story. But back in high school, one of my friends scored a higher SAT score than me, without even studying, since he primarily is the logical type of guy. I scored a much lower score then he, taking the test RAW without studying also. I felt incredibly embarrass lol.
wrote...
9 years ago
Having an education and learning helps put forth toward knowing more! If you know more, you will be able to perform more task and if you repeat the same type of task you will get better at it. Why do you think we study on single subject for a life job! So if you were able to take a IQ test multiple times you will naturally get a higher score due to your increase of knowledge of the test.
Rom
wrote...
9 years ago
So the more active the mind, the higher IQ it might get? So I must really do a lot of reading and solving. Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1238 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370