i
r
r
viralbacteria viralbacteria
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello!

I am a rising sophomore with a double major in the microbiology and chemistry.  I am planning to self-study the organic chemistry during this summer (with my research lab) in order to prepare for my organic chemistry course.  I currently own the organic chemistry textbooks by L.G. Wade, Hornback, Clayden, and Loudon (one required by my university).  I thought those books are great, but I have been hearing from other people that the textbooks by Bruice, Solomon, Carey, Morrison Boyd, and Klein are also superb.  Do I need them too to study comprehensively or are my current textbooks just fine to do it?

Also is it advisable to take both biochemistry and organic chemistry at the same time?  Both courses are two-semesters introductory courses, and my university allows to take them simultaneously if the student really wants to take them both.  I know that the biochemistry bases upon the organic chemistry, but I heard from other students that taking them both is fine as long as I put an effort.  Part of the reasons why I want to study organic chemistry over this summer is to prepare for the biochemistry course that I am considering taking for the next semester.  If I study organic chemistry over this summer, am I safe to take both organic chemistry and biochemistry at the same time?  Do I have to know everything from the general biology in order to study the biochemistry well?  I felt like the general biology is to shallow and biochemistry usually covers the basics from general biology very well.

I apologize for the bad grammar; I had to write it fast since I have to go back to my research lab.  Thank you very much for your time, and have a wonderful rest of day!
Read 2429 times
2 Replies