t
i
r
r
Rokard Rokard
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
9 years ago
Hi! I'm a Swedish student from Lund University, just finished my first year and here's some questions about studying in USA.

How many units should I apply for to study full-time?

Are the courses given repeatedly during one semester? One course is a couple of weeks and I'm not sure how to choose courses. Here's an example:

"MCELLBI C103/PB HLTH C102/PLANTBI C103 Bacterial Pathogenesis 3 Units
Department: Molecular and Cell Biology; Plant and Microbial Biology; Public Health
Course level: Undergraduate
Term course may be offered: Spring
Grading: Letter grade. Qualified students may select to take this course pass/not pass.
Hours and format: 3 hours of Lecture per week for 15 weeks.
Prerequisites: 100, 102 or consent of instructor.
This course for upper division and graduate students will explore the molecular and cellular basis of microbial pathogenesis. The course will focus on model microbial systems which illustrate mechanisms of pathogenesis. Most of the emphasis will be on bacterial pathogens of mammals, but there will be some discussion of viral and protozoan pathogens. There will be an emphasis on experimental approaches. The course will also include some aspects of bacterial genetics and physiology, immune response to infection, and the cell biology of host-parasite interactions.
Final exam required. Instructor: Portnoy"

Does it mean that the course is given every 15th week during the whole spring period?

Approximately; how much does it cost to live one month in USA in USD for one month without risk for starvation?

Thanks in advance!

Rokard
Read 1145 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Are the courses given repeatedly during one semester?

Typically five courses per semester.

Hours and format: 3 hours of Lecture per week for 15 weeks.

This means either a) You get one class per week that is three hours, or b) Two classes a week, 1.5 hours each. This will be repeated for 15 weeks, meaning approximately four months.

It will cost you 500 dollars a room, depending on the location, and 1000 dollars for food and life costs. Therefore, expect to spend 1500. Where are you going to live?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Rokard Author
wrote...
9 years ago
So all I have to do is to apply for 5 courses per semester?

I think the school fix it, at a dorm. If you want something else you have to fix it yourself   Slight Smile

Thanks!
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
So all I have to do is to apply for 5 courses per semester?

If you're starting a new degree, it's usually four courses per semester for full-time students. Part-time students have the option of choosing less, of course. If you live in a dorm, it's around 500 per month. That's probably your best option, especially if you're coming from overseas.
- Bachelor of Science
Rokard Author
wrote...
9 years ago
But there are both 4- and 3-unit courses. I think i read somewhere that one semester equals 15 units. Is that correct?

Thank you for helping me out, you're making my troubled mind much easier!
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
But there are both 4- and 3-unit courses. I think i read somewhere that one semester equals 15 units. Is that correct?

@ my school you earned 3 credits per course; that means that in order to get 15 credits, you need five courses.
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  888 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4