t
i
r
r
Bio_gurl Bio_gurl
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Explain how sensory coding and processing allow the central nervous system to communicate information on the four properties of a stimulus.(modality (nature), location , Intensity, and Duration of the Stimulus.)
Read 31351 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Bio_gurl Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I had a second question too, 2. Describe how pitch and loudness are processed by the cochlea.

I really tried to find some good answers for them but I couldn't make my answers as specific as needed. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Only these 2 questions left from 20 questions assignment due to tomorrow night.
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I had a second question too, 2. Describe how pitch and loudness are processed by the cochlea.

Inside your ear is a basilar membrane that vibrates in different regions depending on the frequency of the sound. To put it simply, your ear detects different pitches depending on where the basilar membrane is vibrating.
````````````````````
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Describe how pitch and loudness are processed by the cochlea.

Firstly, you should know that the sensation of sound is caused by the vibration of basilar membrane and by the bending of stereocilia of certain hair cells in Corti organ. The bending of stereocilia is causing depolarisation of these hair cells, and transduction of sound into neural signals.

1)How is loudness processed
Loudness is determined by the auditory system in at least three ways.
First, as the sound becomes louder, the amplitude of vibration of the basilar membrane and hair cells also increases, so that the hair cells excite the nerve endings at more rapid rates.
Second, as the amplitude of vibration increases, it causes more and more of the hair cells on the fringes
of the resonating portion of the basilar membrane to become stimulated, thus causing spatial summation of impulses—that is, transmission through many nerve fibers rather than through only a few.
Third, the outer hair cells do not become stimulated significantly until vibration of the basilar membrane reaches high intensity, and stimulation of these cells presumably apprises the nervous system that the sound is loud.

(Guyton and Hall Physiology Ch. 52 p.656-657)

2)How is pitch/ frequency processed
Determination of Sound Frequency— The “Place” Principle
From earlier discussions ***(see bellow) in this chapter, it is apparent that low-frequency sounds cause maximal activation of the basilar membrane near the apex of the cochlea, and high-frequency sounds activate the basilar membrane near the base of the cochlea. Intermediate frequency sounds activate the membrane at intermediate distances between the two extremes.

(Note: Depending on the region of the basilar membrane that is activated/vibrating, cochlear
nerve fibers respond differently. That is basically how we understand different frequencies.

I think the above is a sufficient answer, but you can read the rest of the text too:
(Guyton and Hall Physiology Ch. 52 p.692)

*** Extra information about basilar membrane and response to different frequensies
(Guyton and Hall Physiology Ch. 52 p.653)

I hope you found the sources useful.
I also tried to deal with your other question, but I can hardly find anything relative on the web. I will try again tomorrow.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
And, I forgot to tell you, if you have new questions you can make new topics. You don't have to reply to your old topics.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  978 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4