t
i
r
r
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I really want to solve this mystery - no scientist is going to hook up people to thermo-sensors their entire lives hoping one combusts, so we will never get the evidence stubborn science accepts, but we can research into possibilities to deduce if it really is biologically possible!

Here is an example scenario: a build up of nitrate (or a similarly reactive chemical such as ROS or hydrogen peroxide etc) in the body. When a person sweats out, the nitrate concentrates as the sweat dries on the skin. Nitrate is a very reactive oxidizer, and it causes the person's skin to catch on fire as soon as the nitrate infested sweat dries.

To quote Keith: The case where a woman's back began smoking is more interesting and may be a unique pathology, unrelated. There is a mechanism that the body uses to metabolise brown adipose fat that does not involve the thermo- regulation mechanisms of circulation of blood and body fluid. Conceivably this could runaway but there would need to be a tumour or some way that the sensory nerves were inactivated.
Read 873 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Another one of these topics about spontaneous explosion.

Frank, you don't give up, I seriously wonder how you sleep at night Face with Stuck-out Tongue

How the heck is Keith and why is he important in this discussion?

Answering this puzzle requires some common sense. The same sense that prevents us from jumping off cliffs or going on a rampage. These cases are not real because this sort of thing doesn't happen in any other organism on this planet, including every insect, mammal, and reptile. Therefore, it's unlikely to occur in humans.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Here is a puzzle: The burning mystery of Kay Fletcher

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Kay_Fletcher

Case: Unexplained Phenomenon
Date: February 11, 1996

CaseEdit
Details: Kay Fletcher is the wife of Mike Fletcher. One morning in February of 1996, Kay noticed a puff of smoke from her sweater and pulled it off thinking it was on fire. Her husband checked her back, but despite being a little red, there was no apparent cause for the smoke.
Extra Notes: This segment ran as part of a segment on "spontaneous human combustion," and included the cases of George Mott and Irving Bentley. The airdate is March 14, 1997.
Results: Unsolved

There are very similar cases where people's skin has just emitted smoke, a website referred this as SHC of the 2nd kind - the kind that does not fit the wick effect explanation at all - as the person was alive at the time, was not smoking, and smoke or fire was seen coming from their skin. Yes we are wet on the inside but that does not mean that we don't catch fire if our skin, which is continuously exposed to oxygen and is not lathered in water, is exposed to high heat.
wrote...
9 years ago
And how do you know someone didn't plant that article in there for fun? How do you know it wasn't added as a hoax? Must answer that question.

If that's a possibility, then I really can't comment on it. We can go back and forth discussing the its possibility, but that would just be a waste of our time.

Furthermore, most "cases" are American, or the person possesses an American name. There are a lot of scammers here.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Frank_Baker Author
wrote...
9 years ago
We can dismiss ghost sightings as hoaxes, for example, because it has been found that consciousness is what the brain does, there is no logical room for a soul, so I dismiss ghost sightings as I dismiss fairies.

SHC is a different story to me, because I'm not sure if the possibility exists.
wrote...
9 years ago
We can dismiss ghost sightings as hoaxes, for example, because it has been found that consciousness is what the brain does, there is no logical room for a soul, so I dismiss ghost sightings as I dismiss fairies.

I'm more likely to believe in ghosts than I am to believe in SHC.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  901 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352