d
l
a
s
walker8476 walker8476
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I'm studying Cholecystitis at the moment and one thing I don't understand is, if the cyctic duct is blocked with a gallstone, how can bile accumulate in the gallbladder and cause increased pressure within the gallbladder?

Wouldn't the blockage prevent bile from entering the gallbladder?
Read 625 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Bile is produced in the Gallbladder, so if a stone is stuck in the cystic duct it prevents the bile from leaving the Gall bladder. If that happens then bile will continue to collect in the GB with nowhere for it to go, therefore increasing the size/pressure of the GB itself. Hope this helps
walker8476 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Bile is produced in the Gallbladder, so if a stone is stuck in the cystic duct it prevents the bile from leaving the Gall bladder. If that happens then bile will continue to collect in the GB with nowhere for it to go, therefore increasing the size/pressure of the GB itself. Hope this helps

But how can bile continue to accumulate in the gallbladder if the cystic duct is blocked?
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, _12344
Bile is not produced in the gallbladder, it is produced in the liver. The liver then releases the bile into the gallbladder to be stored. When bile is needed it is released through the duodenum into the small intestine this is where the bile passes through the cyst ducts where they may be lodged into the ducts as well as the common bile duct, or the ampulla of Vater. If there is blockage of this then bile doesn't get to the small intestine and it is then accumulated in the gallbladder thus increasing pressure. You can see the connection with the picture I have attached. It doesn't show the connection of the liver to the gallbladder though.

Does this help you, or are you still confused? If you are I could explain it in some more detail.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  797 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328