r
d
l
a
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Please do not answer with ''belief'' or ''expectations'' as that does nothing to answer the underlying mechanism.

I just think the placebo/nocebo effect is very silly. It implies the brain goes ''I think I've been exposed to caffeine, therefore I must cause symptoms of caffeine consumption!''
That is alike to a person setting himself/herself on fire because he/she believed his/her clothing had been tainted with white phosphorous. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

I tried to convince my brain I just took sleeping pills, but my brain for some reason is not producing sleeping pills inside of my blood. Yet there was a story a while back about a man who consumed fake pills assuming they were anti-depressants. He consumed 20+ of them in a suicide attempt and although the pills were harmless, his blood pressure dropped perilously low. This case has never been explained, I am inviting skeptics to debunk this.
Read 622 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Our brains can control what hormones are released and when. If anyone is strong enough to convince their brain that something is happening, I'm sure it's just as powerful as any drug out there.
wrote...
9 years ago
I tried to convince my brain I just took sleeping pills, but my brain for some reason is not producing sleeping pills inside of my blood.

if you know it's a placebo it will not work. lol.

Some people believe the body can heal from anything naturally, so a placebo could be the best drug ever.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
if you know it's a placebo it will not work. .

Subconsciously...
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
9 years ago
I'm not smart enough to even go near that question, but I do believe our mind is stronger than our body. As bio_man said, if you "believe" enough to the point where you are 100% convinced I think placebo can work in certain situations.

Sorry I know you said don't say "belief" but I can't explain it any other way.
This forum is awesome.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  789 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?