t
i
r
r
Sunitram Sunitram
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
Hi, I wonder about how high ( altitude/height in feets or meters) insects can fly:

1) How high can a butterfly fly?

2) How high can a house fly fly?

3) How high can a dragon fly fly?

4) How high can a mosquito fly?

Thanks
Read 343 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
4) How high can a mosquito fly?

In general, mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground.

3) How high can a dragon fly fly?

Dragonflies can ~20 feet, but it ultimately depends on the species. Some, such as Maldives dragonflies, can fly up to 6300m high, the highest of any dragonfly species.

2) How high can a house fly fly?

Rarely more than five metres high.

1) How high can a butterfly fly?

Glider pilots have reported monarchs flying as high as eleven thousand feet.

Remember, all of these are "internet facts", so be cautious of accuracy.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Sunitram Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Savio thanks so much. Very interesting to read your answer.
wrote...
9 years ago
Glad I could help.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
wrote...
9 years ago
According to Wikipedia " In 2008 a colony of bumble bees was discovered on Mount Everest at more than 5,600 metres above sea level, the highest known altitude for an insect. In subsequent tests some of the bees were still able to fly in a flight chamber which recreated the thinner air of 9,000 metres."

The Smithsonian said "Highest altitude -- Some butterflies have been observed flying at altitudes up to 20,000 feet."

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  883 People Browsing
Related Images