d
l
a
s
Frank_Baker Frank_Baker
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Silly me, thinking memories are merely products of brain cells!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10995894/Children-of-Holocaust-survivors-learn-fear-from-mothers-researcher.html

If this were true, that neural impulses have the power to re-arrange macromolecules, wouldn't we expect to see electrocution victims suffering from cancer, spawning children with congenital defects, etc?
How much energy would be required for neural impulses to rip apart DNA and re-arrange it accurately enough that the new DNA mirrors the memories stored in those neurone paths?

Hmmm something doesn't sound quite right. I thought it was BRAIN CELLS that stored memories, not DNA! Is this some fancy viral marketing ad for the new Assassin's Creed game?
Read 605 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
DNA markers can be added or taken away throughout one's lifetime, but I don't think they are passed on in our sex cells.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
DNA markers can be added or taken away throughout one's lifetime, but I don't think they are passed on in our sex cells.

Don't be so quick to denounce this. Frank_Baker might have a point for once. Crying Face

Australian researchers have found overwhelming evidence that parents’ bad habits can be passed down genetically - even if they stop them long before pregnancy.

M. Lane, R. L. Robker, S. A. Robertson. Parenting from before conception. Science, 2014; 345 (6198): 756 DOI: 10.1126/science.1254400

Parenting from before conception
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
9 years ago
Very interesting. I don't think the bad habits being passed down is outrageous at all,  its among the reasons I try to clean them up if I can.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  795 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?