a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
Referring to following video, I would like to know on how slime mold solves the puzzle by forming the shortest path to foods source, if there are 2 possible paths to foods source, Slime mold should form 2 possible paths instead of a shortest path. 

"The whole organism is made up of bits of pulsating tissue, which are constantly expanding and contracting."  What is the key factor to make Slime mold expanding and contracting?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how chemical plays a role here?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Slime Mold Smarts

Heather Barnett: What humans can learn from semi-intelligent slime

Post Merge: 9 years ago

Once the shortest path to foods source is found, what make Slime mold stop searching for another shorter path?

"Another experiment by Tanya Latty and Madeleine Beekman from the University of Sydney presented Physarum polycephalum with two food sources, one consisting of 1% oatmeal in darkness and one of 5% oatmeal in bright light, lethal to the slime mold. The slime mold crawled toward both equally, recognizing the trade-off between high food content and unfavorable conditions. However, when a third source containing 3% oatmeal in darkness was introduced, the slime mold showed preference to this food source. Eighty percent of the mold was found to grow toward the 3% solution. "

http://realitysandwich.com/164147/slime_molds_brainless_intelligence/

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the tradeoff between foods and light?

Case 1

1% oatmeal in darkness = 50%

5% oatmeal in bright light = 50%

Case 2

1% oatmeal in darkness = 10%

3% oatmeal in darkness = 80%

5% oatmeal in bright light = 10%

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the formula for tradeoff between foods and light?
Read 732 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Very intriguing. According to what I read, when Physarum polycephalum “senses” food - via the activation of membrane surface receptors - it begins to flow in its direction. The mold leaves behind a “thick mat of nonliving, translucent, extracellular slime”. When it begins to “forage” again, it will “choose” to explore new territory by avoiding its old, slime-covered path. Such behavior suggests that it can sense extracellular slime upon contact, and uses its presence as an externalized spatial memory system to recognize and avoid areas it has already explored.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/327/5964/439.full#aff-1
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Very intriguing. According to what I read, when Physarum polycephalum “senses” food - via the activation of membrane surface receptors - it begins to flow in its direction. The mold leaves behind a “thick mat of nonliving, translucent, extracellular slime”. When it begins to “forage” again, it will “choose” to explore new territory by avoiding its old, slime-covered path. Such behavior suggests that it can sense extracellular slime upon contact, and uses its presence as an externalized spatial memory system to recognize and avoid areas it has already explored.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/327/5964/439.full#aff-1

I cannot able to access the ref without account, could you please copy and paste any related statement from this article?

Furthermore, do you have any suggestions on what is the key factor to make Slime mold expanding and contracting and how those factors are being managed in cells level?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
I researched it further and I think these studies are lacking. I originally thought it was a pheromone of some sort, but I couldn't back up that hypothesis with literature. As for the link, I too do not have an account to view the article, but it was recommended to me by another article. I was hoping you had access so that I could read through it too.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1177 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328