a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago
"Tea affects calcium absorption in two ways. First, your body excretes greater amounts of calcium as your caffeine intake increases. Second, your body's ability to absorb calcium decreases when caffeine is present in your body. To reduce the impact of caffeine on calcium levels, you should drink tea only between meals and avoid pairing tea with a source of calcium. You can also reduce the negative impact of caffeine on calcium levels by opting for decaffeinated teas or herbal teas, most of which are naturally caffeine-free."

We are better to drink tea after 2 hours of meal time, so tea would not affect calcium absorption.  I would like to know on where those foods go within my body after 2 hours of meal time:
Do foods take 2 hours stay in stomach for digestion? and foods go to intestine for absorption after that, if so drinking tea after 2 hours of meal time do not make any sense, since this is the absorption period after 2 hours of meal time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Read 717 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, thebiologist
Because if you are drinking tea/coffee after eating immediately, it restricts to use Iron (Fe) which taken with meal by the body. But if you didn't consume any meal which contains Iron (Fe), it wouldn't be problem.
Also after 2 hours of meal time, %90 of nutrients are absorbed in digestion way.

You want to learn more, don't hesitate to ask
Post Merge: 9 years ago

I forgot to say, tea/coffee contains "tannin". It acts like a "chelator" and binds divalent ions like Ca, Fe ext. So that the bounds ions couldn't absorbed by the organs
Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Because if you are drinking tea/coffee after eating immediately, it restricts to use Iron (Fe) which taken with meal by the body. But if you didn't consume any meal which contains Iron (Fe), it wouldn't be problem.
Also after 2 hours of meal time, %90 of nutrients are absorbed in digestion way.

You want to learn more, don't hesitate to ask

I forgot to say, tea/coffee contains "tannin". It acts like a "chelator" and binds divalent ions like Ca, Fe ext. So that the bounds ions couldn't absorbed by the organs

Please correct me if I am wrong, if it takes 2 hours to absorb 90% of nutrients, foods seems too quick to get through the digestion system from stomach to big intestine within 2 hours, doesn't it?
as I know that
Stomach is to digest foods, how long does it take for this process?
Small intestine is to absorb nutrients, how long does it take for this process?
Big intestine is to absorb water, how long does it take for this process?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
When you eat foods,
Firstly the mouth digest some carbonhydrates. After that, they go to the stomach in 15 minutes. The stomach digest some proteins. The foods stay at there about 2 hours. Then, the foods go to the small intestine. The small intestine digest all the types of foods (except vitamins and minerals). Also it absorbs the nutrients (%90 of water absorbs in there too). The small intestine absorb more nutrients than the big intestine. Finally they go to the big intestine. In there, it absorbs very little of the nutrients and don't digest anything. From coming to the small intestine until escaping the body last 8 hours. So that, total time of the digestion is about 12 hours.

Also If you do not see it as rude, I think you need to learn more about the digestion system.
If you want to learn more, I advice some of book and send some photos about it.

Note: Do not hesitate to ask bro

I forget to say
If you drink tea/coffee after two hours later, the tannin won't encounter the foods/nutrients. Because when the tannin arrive at the stomach, the foods/nutrients has already gone
Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110

The foods stay at stomach about 2 hours. Then, the foods go to the small intestine. The small intestine digest all the types of foods (except vitamins and minerals). Also it absorbs the nutrients (%90 of water absorbs in there too). ....

If you drink tea/coffee after two hours later, the tannin won't encounter the foods/nutrients. Because when the tannin arrive at the stomach, the foods/nutrients has already gone

"Minerals are absorbed in a small area at the top of the duodenum next to the pyloric valve where chyme passes out of the stomach. This is the primary absorption site for the bivalent minerals, including iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc."
Ref: http://jonbarron.org/article/physiology-small-intestine-part-2#.U_9VXWMmPBZ

Referring to above statement, minerals would be absorbed at the end of stomach area. In 2 hours after meal, most of minerals would be absorbed before entering small intestine, so it is good time to drink tea 2 hours after meal, would it be correct?  

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
9 years ago
You shouldn't drink anything super hot after a meal because the heat in the beverage will and can destroy the vitamins found inside the food.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago
You shouldn't drink anything super hot after a meal because the heat in the beverage will and can destroy the vitamins found inside the food.

Foods are hot when it is outside the body, once you drinks it, which temperature would be the same as your body, so hot drink would not destroy any vitamins found inside the food within body.

For making tea, it would be safer to use hot water to kill any bacteria within tea, even through it may destroy vitamins. 

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>
wrote...
Bro, the minerals absorb in the duodenum. I advice you to read your information correctly. Pyloric valve is like a door which the foods across while going to the small intestine. All the nutrients absorb in the small intestine. Only some of minerals and vitamin B12 are absorbed in the stomach. The minerals and vitamins which absorb in the stomach also absorb in the small intestine

I suggest that you must read the digestion system mechanics or a physiology book about it. I advice the campbell biology or Guyton human physiology. You can find these books' pdf easily

Also I said that about 2 hours digestion in the stomach. Some of the foods' digestion lasts up to 8 hours
Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
oemBiology Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, oem7110
... The minerals and vitamins which absorb in the stomach also absorb in the small intestine
Also I said that about 2 hours digestion in the stomach. Some of the foods' digestion lasts up to 8 hours

If so, what is the best period to drink tea to minimize the impact on minerals' absorption?
some articles recommend that drinks tea in 2 hours after meal and not drinks tea 30 ~ 60 minutes before meal,
Breakfast around 8 am, in practice, tea time is between 10 am and 11 am
Lunch Time around 12 pm, in practice, tea time is between 2 pm to 6 pm
Dinner around 7 pm, in practice, it should not drink any tea for better sleep.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions :>

wrote...
"If so, what is the best period to drink tea to minimize the impact on minerals' absorption?
some articles recommend that drinks tea in 2 hours after meal and not drinks tea 30 ~ 60 minutes before meal" you say ( Sorry, I haven't learn how to make quotes yet.)

Perhaps, it was true. But the problem is you don't eat same things in your meals, do you? So that you can change your drinking tea/coffee time according to your foods. Nevertheless, you can drink tea/coffee after 2 hours to eating meal and can't drink tea/coffee before 30 minutes to eating.
Also you mustn't forgot that all the foods you eat don't contain "very" much vitamins and minerals (I don't say that they contain any minerals or vitamins Wink Face )

You want to ask more, do it bro
Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  969 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?