t
i
r
r
arooj1a2b3c arooj1a2b3c
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, arooj1a2b3c
'm provided with unlabeled packets of sweeteners. Any chemicals I need are provided. I have only a microscope, a pipettor, a balance, a spectrophotometer,a hot plate, and a water bath. I know what substances are being tested and their ingredients.

Substance/ Ingredient
Sugar/ Sugar
SweetNLow/ saccharin, dextrose,
Splenda/ sucralose, maltodextrin, dextrose
Truvia/ Eryrthritol, natural flavor, rebiana
Bobos/ Lactose, aspartame

It's an intellectual exercise; I'm not actually supposed to do this in the lab. I have to describe a procedure to identify which substance is which. I'm having trouble figuring out what to test for. I know that to differentiate between sugar and sucralose I could do a Benedict's test, bu for the rest I'm confused.
Read 1141 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I have only a microscope, a pipettor, a balance, a spectrophotometer,a hot plate, and a water bath.

Only? Hmm....

I think the spectrophotometer as your main tool is the best bet because each one of these chemicals has a unique wavelength when suspended in water. See the attachment Downwards Arrow
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
arooj1a2b3c Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, arooj1a2b3c
So then how do I tell the difference between the other ones? Attached is what I typed up so far, but my instructors telling me that I need to look at the ingredients closer implying that something I did was flawed.
 Attached file 
(15.31 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1152 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?