i
r
r
krustythe krustythe
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello,

I am currently trying to analyze my gas chromatography (GC) results. In the lab, I am trying to figure out what fatty acids are found in olive oil. In the lab manual it says "you should compare the percentages (percent composition) on your sample. Comparing to the % of the standards tells you nothing unless you know the concentrations of the standards."

I am not sure if I was given the concentrations of the standards. But was given this " Standards: Palmitic (16:0), oleic (18:1), linoleic (18:2), and stearic (18:0) acids". I am not sure what these ratios mean and if they do refer to concentrations of standards. If someone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Read 858 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I am not sure if I was given the concentrations of the standards. But was given this " Standards: Palmitic (16:0), oleic (18:1), linoleic (18:2), and stearic (18:0) acids". I am not sure what these ratios mean and if they do refer to concentrations of standards. If someone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

The first number is the length of the fatty acid, how many carbons it has. The second number in the ratio is where the kinks are found, such as the double-bonds.

http://youtu.be/dTwt1h7ssO8?t=10m11s
wrote...
9 years ago

The fatty acid Palmitic Acid has 16 carbones in a row. All fatty acids have a carboxyl group at one end of the molecule. Having no double bond between his carbon atoms, palmitic Acid is a saturated fatty acid.

The molecule in the figure above is a molecule of palmitic acid. Palmitic acid is an example of a fatty acid with 16 carbons. Palmitic acid is also defined as a "16-0" fatty acid. In the abbreviation: "16-0", the first digits indicate the number of carbon atoms of the molecule ( 16 in this case), and the second digit indicates the number of double bonds ( none in this cas).
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  912 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370