t
i
r
r
kme8124 kme8124
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
A person riding in the back of a pickup truck traveling at 50km/h on a straight, level road throws a ball with a speed of 15km/h relative to the truck in the direction of the truck's motion.

What is the velocity of the ball relative to a stationary observer by the side of the road?

What is the velocity of the ball relative to the driver of a car moving in the same direction as the truck at a speed of 75km/h ?
Read 255 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
[please note: if the the velocities of objects A and B are vₐ and vᵦ with respect to a stationary observer (neutral observer) on the ground, then the velocity of A relative to B is vₐ - vᵦ. this is as if B were at rest and only A were moving. here B is the truck and A the ball]

let velocity of the ball relative to a stationary observer by the side of the road = vₐ km/h

given velocity of the truck relative to a stationary observer by the side of the road = vᵦ km/h = 50 km/h

velocity of A relative to B is vₐ - vᵦ = 15 km/h [truck's direction being +tive and as if the truck were at rest and only the ball moving]

=> vₐ - 50 = 15 or vₐ = 65 km/h

ii) here A is the ball and B is the driver of a car moving in the same direction as the truck at a speed of 75km/h

therefore velocity of the ball relative to the driver = vₐ - vᵦ = 65 - 75 = - 10 km/h [ie: 10 km/h speed in the opposite direction of car and truck movement considering the car driver to be at rest as it were]
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  967 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?