t
i
r
r
kez kez
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
i have test for next saturday to get in to university, i need the full explaination please Grinning Face
Read 370 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
This is a very generic question Face with Stuck-out Tongue The circulatory system and respiratory system are involved, of course. Oxygen in picked up in the lungs by hemoglobin which is found in red blood cells. The hemoglobin then transports the oxygen (four oxygen atoms can be carried at one time by one cell) to cells that need it and when they release the oxygen, they pick up carbon dioxide. They then carry the carbon dioxide back to the lungs where most of it is exhaled. The whole process is mediated by chemical triggers in the body. Not sure how much more detail you need...
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Oxygen is breathed in through the lungs and diffuses into the circulatory system where it is transported 98.5% via the hemoglobin molecule (red blood cells), and 1.5% in the plasma (solution), which contributes to the partial pressure of oxygen in the body. When oxygen reaches its destination (cells) it is released. Carbon dioxide is excreted from cells transported approx 60% via Bicarbonate, 20% via hemoglobin and 10% in plasma (contributing to the partial pressure of CO2 in the body). The bicarbonate reaction is carbon dioxide mixes with H2O in the presence of carbonic anhydrase (enzyme) to form H2CO3, which breaks up into the bicarbonate ion HCO3- and free H+. It is only TRANSPORTED in this way and when it reaches its destination the reaction occurs in reverse to reform CO2, which is then excreted from the body (through breathing).
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
kez Author
wrote...
9 years ago
thank you very much.. Smiling Face with Open Mouth
and how about transport of nutrients? its just the same with oxygen right? or maybe anyother detail explainationn?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Nutrients are different.

For example, lipoproteins transport lipids (fats, cholesterol, etc.) throughout the body and keep them soluble since blood is hydrophilic (lipid hating).

Generally, carbohydrates are transported in the blood as glucose, proteins are transported as amino acids and lipids are transported in lipoprotiens.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1056 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4