t
S
m
s
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Why is aspirin given to patients with heart problems?? Physiologically, how does aspirin help?

Also, a patient that has taken aspirin cannot undergo surgery until at least a few days after having taken the pill. Why?

Thank you
Read 302 times
7 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Why is aspirin given to patients with heart problems?? Physiologically, how does aspirin help?

Taking aspirin helps prevent blood clots from forming in your arteries.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Given that Aspirin is an NSAID, don't NSAID drugs increase the risk of atrial fibrillation, thrombosis, and blood clots in the legs and lungs?
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, ehd123
Thank you zoeksyrianos, but an idea why surgery cannot be performed on these patients?

Hello bioman, I am not sure to be honest. I think they prevent blood clotting and relief heart pain. Again, I am not sure which is why I am asking. More importantly, these patients cannot undergo surgery for a while after taking aspirin..  Confounded Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Aspirin inhibits platelet aggregation by inhibiting the action of thromboxane A2.

Therefore, it's an antiplatelet drug, an anticoagulant. You don't want this during surgery because these proteins allow scar tissue to heal.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Interesting, look what I found in a grade 11 textbook!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
9 years ago
Aspirin decreases platelet aggregation, and therefore prevents clots. It can also prevent strokes by keeping platelets from sticking to plaque in the arteries.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Thank you both Slight Smile That was really helpful!
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  955 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 585