t
i
r
r
Edwin96 Edwin96
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hey, I am new to this forum, so I don't know if anyone can answer this question, but is it possible to do what I described above? I was just wondering because I had this experiment in mind and would like to implement it if it is feasible.
Read 943 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
Hey, Edwin96.

Yes, it is possible. I believe they are called phytohormones. Are you asking for a protocol that you can use in a lab? Try the attachment, let me know. Nerd Face
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Edwin96 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Excellent, I will give that a read.

There is also a secondary question for this as well, I hope you are up to it.
So, I am really interested in insects, almost to the point of obsession. I was reading about experiments done on insects to make them larger. I know that Oxygen and heat have a big part in insect size.

So, because with more Oxygen and heat, insects will increase their size. I wanted to take that experiment one step further and do some hormone manipulation to increase the size to an even greater degree.

I probably sound crazy, but anything goes for science, right?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
lol What hormones were you thinking of using?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Edwin96 Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, Edwin96
That is a really good question. I am not entirely sure at this point, but I know that I am going to want to target growth hormones. to make an insect larger, I would have to somehow manipulate the molting process to make the insect larger. It might have something to do with the Juvenile Hormone (neotenin) and ecdysone. I really don't know much about hormones. I suppose that is where I would need to start.

would the extraction of hormones from insects be different from plants? is it possible to inject the hormones? or would they be able to consume the hormone through their food? What kind of equipment would I need?

I suppose I probably should have done more research before coming to you for this. thank you for your patience in guiding me. It is much appreciated.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1001 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249