s
r
d
l
Chadori Chadori
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Here's a question that I can't seem to grasp.

There are two mRNAs presented in the 5' to 3' direction, one of which belongs to strain A and the other one belonging to strain B.

Strain A's shine delgarno is further away from the AUG start codon (~17nucleotides)
Strain B's shine delgarno is optimal distance from the AUG start codon (~9nucleotides)

NO INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROMOTER WAS GIVEN. BOTH strains synthesize the same quantity of protein that comes from the given mRNA.

Which strain of bacteria generates more mRNA?

I'm sure this question can be argued in so many different ways, but I said it was strain B because if both strains are generating the same amount of product, then I don't believe it to be a translational effect because you can have multiple ribosomes translating at once.

I assumed that the promoter was at the same position between the two strains, thus strain A's shine delgarno is closer to the RNA polymerase (upon transcription initiation). Now, if that's the case, then wouldn't the ribosome bind right after the shine delgarno is transcribed, which would cause the 30s subunit to be a little too close for comfort relative to the RNA polymerase. I believe that the spacing is not great enough to transcribe properly. So by default strain B would make more mRNA, but not because it is upregulating, but just because strain A has some hinderance making it's mRNA.
Read 392 times