t
i
r
r
fluidelement fluidelement
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
http://myfox8.com/2014/10/06/woman-29-chooses-to-end-her-life-will-die-the-day-after-husbands-birthday/

She has a glioblastoma with only months to live so moved to Oregon where they have a right to die law.
Read 1528 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
9 years ago
so is she choosing to die through euthanasia?
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
I guess I'd also consider doing the same thing if I was in her place.
And yes, it's heartbreaking. I only hope that people will also start to sympathize all other young people dying constantly because of poverty and war.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
9 years ago
pain sucks no matter how you look at it, escaping pain is something the best fix, but there are other ways of dealing with it apart from killing oneself. i don't know Confounded Face
wrote...
9 years ago
It's sad to hear her story and situation. I too, would not know what to do if that ever happens.
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
9 years ago
why would she publicize it to the world, bugs me a little
wrote...
9 years ago
Yah, that's a good point, i don't know why she would announce it to the world. I'd keep things private.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
..You don't know what you would do if you were in her place though. Are you implying that it could be fake?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
The ad does exactly what it's intended to do, that is to convince the public that certain crimes should be passed off as a 'legal right'. These guys are actors, and it's obvious that they're pretty good at what they do.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
The ad does exactly what it's intended to do, that is to convince the public that certain crimes should be passed off as a 'legal right'. These guys are actors, and it's obvious that they're pretty good at what they do.
To be honest that's not unlikely. However, fake or not, it hardly matters. If someone feels sympathy for her, then it's sympathy toward the girl with the terminal disease, and not for the actress, even if it's fake.

The real question is, why do people care more about such individual cases of misfortunes while they ignore the majority of deaths caused by poverty and wars?
I guess a possible answer is that, sympathy is actually a selfish emotion. Many people in developed countries don't really care about poverty and war, because they think they are safe from them. On the other hand, seeing people with similar economic/social status as them suffering makes them feel sad, maybe because they get the feeling (subconsciously) that something similar can actually happen to themselves or their family/friends.

Of course, I'm not suggesting to stop caring about these people. I just wish that, people will someday start feeling sympathy about the whole humanity rather than a part of it.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
On the other hand, seeing people with similar economic/social status as them suffering makes them feel sad, maybe because they get the feeling (subconsciously) that something similar can actually happen to themselves or their family/friends.

That's precisely it, we can relate to this woman more than someone living Africa. In Western culture, we're too overwhelmed by work and most people don't know the extent of what's happening in the world other than what they hear on the news. When was the last time I heard anything about Libya after its former president Muammar Gaddafi was overthrown by protesters who happen to be the same type of terrorists causing trouble in the Middle East now. The media picks and chooses what it wants people to hear.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
While this is so highly controversial, I think more states need to have laws like these. It is giving people that medically cannot live, an option to die with dignity. It probably is the last piece of "peace" in her soul.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
While this is so highly controversial, I think more states need to have laws like these. It is giving people that medically cannot live, an option to die with dignity. It probably is the last piece of "peace" in her soul.

It's a slippery slope, because then where and when do you cross the line? A prisoner serving life will want this as an escape, so will a teenager going through depression.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago

It's a slippery slope, because then where and when do you cross the line? A prisoner serving life will want this as an escape, so will a teenager going through depression.

We can certainly protect against that pretty effectively by requiring mental health screenings.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1139 People Browsing
 102 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?