t
i
r
r
Fightboy Fightboy
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
9 years ago
Hi everyone! So I just recently got done with a lab involving performing the Bradford Assay on a diluted protein drink sample, and was confused on one of the calculation steps.
Here is the step:
 Assuming the protein concentration value on the drink label is correct, use the conservation of mass equation to calculate how much of the sample you should add to 1mL so that the final concentration of the solution you would use in your assay is 50 µg/mL. The protein concentration expressed on the label is 6.67 *10^(4) µg/mL.

The volume of Protein Drink to add to 1mL for a final concentration of 50 µg/mL is:

. I'm mainly having issues with this because I don't know exactly what the conservation of mass equation is, and I don't know what the 1 mL is referring to, the step only says 1 mL and doesn't specify 1 mL of what. Any ideas on what to do and how to solve this? I've already asked my T.A. for help but he always says to just think about it critically and doesn't really offer any helpful tips on how to finish the step.
Btw. is the conservation of mass equation M1V1=M2V2, where M is concentration and V is volume? Thanks in advance!

Read 1898 times
5 Replies