t
S
m
s
theborderline theborderline
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I know this is really simple I just do not know how to do it. Don't want to ask the teacher how to work these. I just need someone to explain the process.

In testing spoiled milk for the presence of bacteria, you count 100 colonies on a TGEA plate.  The corresponding milk sample was diluted 1:1,000.  How many bacteria per milliliter does the milk contain?

Thanks
Read 390 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
But, how much diluted milk did you put on the plate?

Remember that, each colony deprives from a single cell, so this means that, the amount of milk you put on the plate initially had 100 bacteria.

In order to answer, we need to know the amount of diluted milk you put on the plate. If for example that amount is 1ml, then the spoiled milk should have 1*1000*100=100000bacteria/ml.   (We multiply with 1000 because the milk was diluted, and with 100 because that how many cells the sample initially had)
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
And of course, by doing that we find the amount of bacteria/ml the milk had before the experiment. Because later, the amount may have changed.
theborderline Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I copied and pasted the question exactly as it was.. I'm assuming he meant1m l but I don't know
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Hmm, I think this question seems incomplete then. Maybe these plates have a fixed capacity? I don't know much about them though. Anyways, I hope you will find the correct answer.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  766 People Browsing
 112 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274