t
S
m
s
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Are fibroblasts considered granular cells?

What about red blood cells versus white blood cells? Are all hematopoietic cells granular?
Read 390 times
5 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
You probably mean a cell with granules?
Is this what you have in mind? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granulocyte

If you specifically meant "granular cells" then I can't find what it is except this (which is highly unlikely): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granule_cell
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
I meant granulocytes..

If a side scatter of flow cytometry was too dark, does that mean that the cell is granular? Because a side scatter is a measure of granularity?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Well, granulocytes is a group of cells that contains the related white blood cells.

Now, about granules, I think they are present at many cells (for example as lysosomes or secretory vesicles), it's just that, their density is high at granulocytes.

Did you observe something unexpected?
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hmm no not really, but while I was rehearsing my presentation, I noticed that the majority of the flow cytometry results were side scatter measuring the granulocity of the cells instead of the number of the cells.. And  I don't really get why they were measuring the granulocity..
Is it perhaps because they were making sure that the cells were transitioning from fibroblasts to white blood cells? Hence more granulocity?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
Hm, possibly but I don't know... I just wanted to add that, doesn't each dot on the graphs represent an individual cell? If it's like that, then it doesn't matter how much dark the graph is, but where the dots are located.

Not that this will explain anything though....... Since I don't really know why the flow cytometry had to be used anyways.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1025 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249