r
d
l
a
srmtrc srmtrc
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
9 years ago
An interesting procedure has been applied for assessing the chromosomal balance of potential secondary oocytes for use in human in vitro fertilization. Using fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), Kuliev and Verlinsky (2004) were able to identify individual chromosomes in first polar bodies and thereby infer the chromosomal makeup of "sister" oocytes.

Kuliev and Verlinsky state that there was a relatively high number of separation errors at meiosis I. In these cases the centromere underwent a premature division, occurring at meiosis I rather than meiosis II.
Regarding chromosome 21, what would you expect to be the chromosome 21 complement in the secondary oocyte in which you saw a single chromatid (monad) for chromosome 21 in the first polar body?

The correct answer is that it would have a monad and a dyad for chromosome 21.

If the secondary oocyte from the above part were fertilized, what would you expect to be true of the resulting zygote? Select *all* possible expected outcomes.

It could have no copies of chromosome 21.
It could have one copy of chromosome 21.
It could have two copies of chromosome 21.
It could have three copies of chromosome 21.
Read 514 times
1 Reply