a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
9 years ago
Referring to following statement, I would like to know on whether calcium activates the product nitric oxide or nitric oxide activates the product calcium, where I get confused.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The most widely known endothelium-derived relaxing factor, nitric oxide, is released from endothelial cells in response to shear stress or stimulation of different receptors for a variety of neurohumoral mediators on the endothelial cell surface.3 The increase in endothelial cell calcium initiated by these stimuli increases the activity of a constitutively expressed enzyme, nitric oxide synthase, which converts l-arginine to nitric oxide and citrulline.4 5 6 7 Nitric oxide thus formed diffuses to and inhibits contraction of the underlying vascular smooth muscle.3 The physiological significance of the production of endothelial nitric oxide is suggested by the vasoconstriction observed in most vascular beds8 9 10 11 12 13 and the increase in systemic arterial blood pressure,14 15 16 which occurs on infusion of inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase.

Ref: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/92/11/3337.full
Read 613 times