t
S
m
s
dan5bck dan5bck
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, dan5bck
We have the data, we have the databases, why not use them to build the Human Cellular and Molecular Constitution?

What I mean by this is, why not gather all the information in NCBI on Human Research and start organizing it so that you know which thing does what, what forms what, the variations, the basic elements, all the information that goes down to, I don't want to say atom, but at least molecule.

Does this work exist somewhere?
Read 666 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
What I mean by this is, why not gather all the information in NCBI on Human Research and start organizing it so that you know which thing does what, what forms what, the variations, the basic elements, all the information that goes down to, I don't want to say atom, but at least molecule.

That's a good idea, but you can already do this. You can search sequences online for free.
dan5bck Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I know, but they are archieved in dark places and sometimes really hard to access. I would hope for something like, for example, "I want to know what makes the heart beat", and from there, the software would consider from the genetics to the cellular level the implications of such said constituents that influence this happening.
What I'm really asking for is a "more organized" environment where I can learn some particular detail without having to go through dozens or more scientific papers.
wrote...
9 years ago
Why not buy a textbook on the subject, or read a review. Part of being a scientist is reading through papers Face with Stuck-out Tongue

I know what you mean, it would be more efficient if everything was sorted out.

By the way, most - if not all - biological pathways are multidimensional. It's typically more than just one gene that plays a role.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
Everyday, hundreds of papers are published. NCBI is probably the closest organization I know that does this.
dan5bck Author
wrote...
9 years ago
That's why I think something like this should've been done, or least been started, a long time ago, after they finished the human genome project. I think now they are just collecting data, doing nothing with it, besides collecting more data from data. I mean, it's bound to make the pieces come together at some point. Rather than just finding more, it should be put together those pieces that connect. I think it would be much easier to navigate through and probably would help to find new "pieces" more easily.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
Check this link out:

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/

They actually have information that is sorted by date.

Also check out: http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/home/home.do
dan5bck Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Those websites are the perfect example of what I just said is not "organized". I've already used the first one in bioinformatics, together with a bunch of other ones, and I remember they just give you data that is not specific. For example, i just searched the recommend word "hemoglobin". It just returns hundreds of entries, that are semi-categorized. They show which species they belong and a bunch of other data, but the information you need is generally hidden in some paper that you have to read.
Maybe I'm not getting my idea across, and since it's hard to put into words, I'll try and make up a schematic of what I imagined it would be. So stay tuned.
wrote...
9 years ago
Maybe you're not searching it the right way. For example, what do you want to know specifically about hemoglobin?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  939 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156