S
m
s
duddy duddy
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
a. Segregation?

Mendel’s law of segregation states that although each organism contains two traits (today known as alleles) for a given character (today known as a gene), only one allele is found in each gamete. Synapsis of homologous chromosomes in prophase I and their separation to opposite poles in anaphase I separate—or segregate—alleles of a given gene into different gametes.

b. Independent assortment?

Mendel’s law of independent assortment states that the pairs of traits that control each character act independently of each other in gamete formation. (Today we know that the assumption is that these traits or alleles are on separate pairs of homologous chromosomes.) In other words, how one set of traits on one pair of homologous chromosomes segregates in gametes does not affect how another set of traits on a different pair of homologous chromosomes segregates. The alignment of homologous chromosome pairs relative to each other during metaphase I of meiosis is random. As noted in question 5, how any given pair of chromosomes lines up on the metaphase plate during metaphase I is independent of how any other pair lines up.
Read 5664 times
1 Reply
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Hi, Michele -Fantastic post! You have articulated for all of us   in anlguage both powerful and poetic   the truth that lies at the heart of one of the most discussed and least understood elements of this election.Isn't it astonishing that, despite enormous awareness of the importance of  the women's vote,  the media and certain candidates seem to be blissfully ignorant about the woman voter?  Just when we thought we had gone beyond soccer moms, security moms and most recently single moms as overly simplified handles for the multi-million multi-minded women who will determine the outcome of this election, we see again that some of the key players in this campaign are having a hard time keeping up.Some are struggling more than others, I would say. The very idea that appointing a woman running mate would cause any substantial portion of the 18 million women who backed Hillary to jump the fence on their beliefs and priorities simply to vote for someone of the female persuasion .! Well, happily, I'm not on the convention docket, because it simply leaves me speechless!Having already tipped my hand as to who I might be favoring in November   ;>)   I can't resist sharing one more woman's take on this surprising development. for Maureen Dowd's hilarious column on what she calls the Miss Congeniality candidate. I mean no disrespect to Governor Palin   but the situation itself is such a Hollywood scenario. And with a simple pair of spectacles, Sandra Bullock could slip right into the part with nary a change in hair or make-up.Well, Michele   just wanted to thank you and congratulate you on a wonderful and worthwhile point of view, blindingly clear and beautifully written. It will be fascinating to watch developments unfold from here, don't you think?-September 3, 2008 at 4:57 pm
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  975 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79