t
i
r
r
BingoBango BingoBango
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Is Zn(OH)2 amphoteric in aqueous solution if so why?
Read 494 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Hello, see if this helps Downwards Arrow

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
Other attached file(s):
(210.19 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
wrote...
9 years ago
An amphoteric substance is one that can display both acidic and basic properties, so look:

2NaOH + Zn(OH)2 Rightwards Arrow Na2[Zn(OH)4] - to show it has acidic properties
and Zn(OH)2 + 4HCl Rightwards Arrow ZnCl2 + 2H2O - to show it has basic properties.
BingoBango Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I just am having a really hard time understanding how many electrons Zinc can hold.  Does it follow the octet rule what is its formal charge?  I believe an ionic bond occurs, I am not sure if the octet rule or similar rule applies.  Earlier today I was studying NH4Cl which amazed me because Nitrogen's outer valence can only hold 8 electrons and Cl's valence can only hold 8 electrons yet they are considered bonded (NH4Cl) because ammonium has a partial positive formal charge and chloride has a partial positive, how can Nitrogen bond when it already has a full valence?  So in this case Zinc which I believe as a metal is forming partial charges with OH- (ions, correct)?  What is the limit on Zinc's capacity for OH-? 

Both of you guys proved very adequately that Zn(OH)2 is amphoteric, but I really don't get how Zinc binds at all.  I have made numerous internet searches just to see a picture of zincs binding.  Just where do the electrons go?  SiteTester that was a novel approach that I believe that I can use in other problems.  And EmHen your article clearly states that Zn(OH)2 is amphoteric.  Thank you! 

But I am still in the dark in understanding zinc.  I know this is supposed to be a simple question and answer forum, but I am still confused and for the sake of learning could you help me understand zinc's bonding scheme!
wrote...
9 years ago
Zinc hydroxide is amphoteric, dissolves in acids and alkalies.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=SagaBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA127&lpg=PA127&dq=%22zinc+hydroxide+is+amphoteric%22&source=bl&ots=cT4e2nr2mt&sig=hrCM1S-JfCQE0fzFgpkHH0puWZg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rk52VI6JN8yyogTQvoDAAw&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22zinc%20hydroxide%20is%20amphoteric%22&f=false

http://books.google.ca/books?id=6y3ZAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=%22zinc+hydroxide+is+amphoteric%22&source=bl&ots=EqZb5GF3V5&sig=MlLBL7Z8x_7CPwu5XlqN-ZOZjqc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rk52VI6JN8yyogTQvoDAAw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22zinc%20hydroxide%20is%20amphoteric%22&f=false
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  919 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352