t
S
m
s
mkshawty mkshawty
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
What is the relationship between white blood cells, leukocytes, phagocytes, macrophages, neutrophils and dentritic cells.

In your response, include a description of phagocytosis and its role in immunity.

Smiling Face with Open Mouth and Tightly-closed Eyes Grinning Face
Read 435 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
What is the relationship between white blood cells, leukocytes, phagocytes, macrophages, neutrophils and dentritic cells.

I believe they are all phagocytic cells and are part of the immune system. I found a resource that will help break it down for you!

Why is Phagocytosis Important?

Phagocytosis is one of the vital processes in the body as it performs a major role in defending the body against invasion and infection resulting from foreign bodies such as protozoa, bacteria, dust particles, pigments etc. this is achieved by use of two types of phagocytes i.e. neutrophils and macrophages both of which are attracted to the infected area by signals released by the infected tissues and bacteria or by chemical reaction between blood system proteins complementary system and the bacteria. Phagocytosis have the ability to destroy invaders[4], however it primary responsibility is the process of collecting and carrying pathogens to lymphocytes which destroys them.

What is the Role of Phagocytosis in the Body?

The fist role of Phagocytosis involves initial encountering with pathogens whereby the phagocytes act as sentinels i.e. by waiting to come across any microbes that may enter the body then alerting the body`s immune system for the beginning of various defense mechanism. The second role involves recognition of pathogens by use of certain protein found in their membranes, thereby enabling immunology process to begin and lastly releasing cytokines i.e. regulatory molecules which help in coordination of an immune response. They play an important role in specific immune response.

Why is Phagocytosis important when it comes to immune system function and support?

In mammalian immune system, Phagocytosis is activated via connection to PAMPS (Pathogen-associated molecular patterns, which activates NF-kB. Engulfment of pathogens is enhanced by anti-myosin contractile system which is merged with the lysosome hence resulting to oxygen-dependant or oxygen-independent degradation which boost the body immune system and support for destruction of bacteria.

Let me know if you need more help Slight Smile
Source  http://www.beta-glucan-info.com/phagocytosis_immune_support.htm
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  940 People Browsing
 110 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249