t
i
r
r
rtttt rtttt
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
An artery that has been exposed to a lifetime of unhealthy food is slowly building up atherosclerotic plaque.
If the vessel diameter is 0.8 mm, and the blood flow rate through the vessel is 7 mL/sec, and the plaque is
building up uniformly on the wall of the vessel,
a) Calculate how thick the plaque needs to be change the velocity of blood flowing through the vessel
by 30%. Would the velocity decrease or increase?
b)Plot the velocity of blood through the vessel and the plaque thickens from 0 to Tx10^-11 cm where T is 912147102. Please provide raw data along with the plot.
Read 1095 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
rsb
wrote...
9 years ago
a) The thickness of the plaque to change the velocity of blood flowing through the vessel could not be calculated because blood pressure is also required in the equation.

b) The value of T in this question is vague.
wrote...
9 years ago
Atherosclerosis is a disease in which plaque such as fat, cholesterol, and calcium builds up inside arteries. It leads to problems such as heart attack, stroke, and vascular disease. Plaque ruptures by hardening and narrowing arteries. This limits the flow of oxygen-rich blood to your organs and other parts of your body. It blocks the blood's flow in the heart, arms, brain, pelvis, legs, or kidneys.

A) Normal artery with normal blood flow.
B) An artery with plaque formation.

The progression rate in an artery is lower with a higher velocity flow rate and higher with a smaller value of the blood viscosity. The plaque growth depends on the inlet velocity flow rate at a slower rate.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
In this problem the pressure is very important parameter in addition to that viscosity of blood if these parameters are given we can calculate the how thickness of the plague can affect velocity of blood. Poisulle's viscosity formula would be used to calculate the same.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I think habiba is on to something. I have made a rough calculation, but I'm not sure it's right...
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1401 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204