t
i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
This is the first time I will sit for a "graduate" histology exam.. We will be having a course exam and a practical lab exam.. The material is cumulative, and we only have one shot i.e one exam and it is the final exam. What should I expect? Shall I dwell into details? What is the best way to study for this exam? Are there any good resources to quiz myself for both tests?

Slight Smile Thank you
Read 994 times
5 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
I have taken graduate histology at a large university.
I would be very comfortable sitting down and going through slides, being able to identify what you are looking if given a random slide. Be able to identify all of the structures and functions without referencing notes. If you have trouble doing so then you know you need to go back and review that material. Example. You get a box of slides containing a blood sample. Can you identify a Red blood cell, a neurophil, basophil, eosinophil, monocyte, can you look at a slide and know what type and class of connective tissue you are looking at. can you identify a reticular fiber if it pops up on a power point slide in a very small frame of reference essentially can you identify collagen type. Can you look at a cross section of a vessel and know what type it is, and if an arrow is marking a part of its wall, label it.

Histology is very detail oriented. You are looking at the details to identify overall structure and knowing the structure can help discern some of the details.
Structure(form) = Function. learn it live it love it.
There are reference material for help and practice but dont overload yourself with sources. these two are high quality

I reccomend  http://histology.med.umich.edu/virtual-slide-index

ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
This is beyond helpful! Thank you very much healze4life!

We only covered so far these topics:
Cytology
Epithelial tissue
Nervous tissue
Muscle
Connective tissue
Bone-cartilage
Blood
Lymphatic Tissue

I will make sure to use the source you posted.. I am currently studying the material for the course, and have not started dwelling into the slides... I shall begin as soon as I am done with the material. It is taking too much time that I am worried I am wasting time on silly details and not focusing enough on slides.. Anyhow, complaining won't get my work done, better go work faster.. Thanks again  Smiling Face with Halo
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
9 years ago
Np. I do reccomend  looking at the slides while you are studying a bit even if you don't know what you are looking at. you are still putting that material together. You build up reference images that you have seen and as you build upon your knowledge  you will be able  to identify  more and more on each slide. Repetition in seeing these images is very helpful.
wrote...
9 years ago
thanks!
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Thank you Healz4life, I think it went well  Smiling Face with Halo
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1114 People Browsing
 102 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4