r
O
x
d
s
biobio biobio
wrote...
11 years ago
E.O. is an 8-year-old girl with a history of asthma and allergy to bee stings. She has been brought to the clinic complaining of a throat infection. Her health care provider prescribes a course of penicillin to manage her current infection and cautions her parents to watch her closely for a reaction.

Questions:

1) What type of reaction is the health care provider concerned about and why?

2) Explain the role of IgE and mast cells in type I hypersensitivity reactions. Why might E.O. react adversely to the antibiotic with the first use?
Read 7574 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
1) The provider is concerned about an IgE mediated allergic reaction. E.O. was previously administered penicillin and had a mild immune response to the drug. Reexposure to the drug may cause an increased allergic reaction, possibly anaphylaxis because her body has already created IgE specific to penicillin.

2) Initial exposure to an antigen causes B lymphocytes to produce IgE which coat the surface of the mast cell by binding to Fc receptors on the cell. Subsequent exposure to the same antigen cross links the IgE and causes degranulation of the mast cell and release of mast cell products. The products such as histamine and serotonin cause rapid constriction of the vessels causing the hypersensitive reaction.

Moving to nursing.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Answer rejected by topic starter
biobio Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, biobio
I saw this one but it is not the right answers for this case study.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  464 People Browsing
 147 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741