x
d
s
Kurmis Kurmis
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Hi,
As far as I understand, the higher the concentration of a substrate ( H2O2 in this case) the bigger the enzyme activity.
The thing is, when  I put various concentrations of a H2O2 solution (highest being 15% solution) on banana samples and then measured the pressure which was created by the resulting oxygen, it was other way round. The banana samples with the H2O2 were in syringes of the same volume. I expected that the sample with the 15% solution would result in comparetively bigger enzyme activity and therefore more O2 expelled, and more pressure being created. Yet it turned out that the highest pressure was reached by a 6% H2O2 solution sample. I'm at a loss here. Perhaps I needed to give the samples more time? I took the measurements for 3 minutes, perhaps not enough? Or have I misunderstood something?
Read 2379 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
How many measurements for each experiment (concentration level) did you take? You should take at least 3 to 5 for each.
Kurmis Author
wrote...
11 years ago
There were time constraints, so with each concentration I only measured once. I know it is not good. I usually make five.
I've attached a graph representing the pressure over time. The red graph is with the 15% solution, the yellow with the 7,5% and the purple with the 6%. Other concentrations were used too, I just took them off from this graph not to make the picture too complicated. The thing is that all of the solutions made were dilutions of the 15% solution, yet all of their graphs are higher than the 15% one. Maybe I messed up the 15% mesurement somehow, but still, then the rest of the graphs should be positioned accordingly.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  620 People Browsing
 142 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion