r
d
l
a
sweetangel sweetangel
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Please help me with this lab report. I don't know to began with the procedure. Please tell me 3 or 4 steps. I will follow it.

Write a procedure that would follow to demonstrate the effect of increasingly higher concentrations of hydrochloric acid on its rate of reaction with antacid tablets. I Can only use materials listed:

- Hydrochloric acid (with a concentration of 1.0 mol/L)
- Distilled water
- Antacid tablets (calcium carbonate)
- A mortar and pestle
- Graduated cylinders (10 mL, 100 mL sizes)
- Test tubes and beakers
- Balance and measuring pan
- Hot plate (heat source)
- Thermometer
- Stopwatch or other timing device
- Ice-water bath
- Scoop
Read 5376 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
You could distil the HCl to varying concentrations by diluting it with water. Once you get four different concentrations, place an antacid pill inside each concentration and see how much of the acid decreased in strength.
wrote...
12 years ago
measure 10 ml of 1.0M acid and dilute it with 100 ml of water to make .1M acid
measure 10 ml of .1M acid and dilute it with 100 ml water to make .01M acid
Keep track of which is which!
Grind up several antacid tablets and weigh out one portion, about .5g and record how much it weighs. Drop the powder into a beaker filled with one molarity of acid with your scoop and time how long it takes for the reaction to stop. Record this and repeat for the different concentrations of acid.
wrote...
12 years ago
The Control variables used are: amount and type of antacid used, temperature, volume of HCL and distilled water
So due to your experiment talking about changing the concentration, but I'm assuming you will only be given 1mol of HCl...so I would change the volume of water used since I'm assuming you will not be given 2 or 3mol of HCl for this lab.
N.B the volume of HCl (by itself) does not affect concentration, but you can change the volume of water in order to dilute the HCl
Heat in this experiment is a variable only used to quicken the reaction of the tablet to dissolve.
For the rate of reaction you could use the timer to see how long it takes for 1 tablet to be dissolved.
1) can have 5 experiments
Your control experiment: will just be 50ml of HCl without any water added. Other than this follows the same set up as the other experiments.
(volume) = (desired molarity) (volume). Where to get your desired molarity you : 1mol *.050L/ x= desired molarity

where x is the final volume (volume after adding water to HCl. Remember to convert your ml to litres
Turn hot plate on to 30 C
Label 5 different beaker with lets say 50ml of HCL (constant) and the different volumes of water . You can dilute the HCl to the point where you have .75mol,.5mol,and .25mol .1mol. Here is an equation to tinker around with to get whatever moles of HCL you want to create:

2)Add the amount of HCl and Water designated for the beaker
3)Place on hot plate
4) Place thermometer
5)Before adding to each beaker measure the antacid to make sure that they are all of the approximate weight start timer after adding tablet and stop when a sufficient amount of the tablet has dissolved. Record the data.
wrote...
12 years ago
Control variables: amount and type of antacid used, temperature, volume of HCL and have
So due to your experiment talking about changing the concentration, but I'm assuming you will only be given 1mol of HCl...so I would change the volume of water used since I'm assuming you will not be given 2 or 3mol of HCl for this lab.
N.B the volume of HCl (by itself) does not affect concentration, but you can change the volume of water in order to dilute the HCl
Heat in this experiment is a variable only used to quicken the reaction of the tablet to dissolve.
For the rate of reaction you could use the timer to see how long it takes for 1 tablet to be dissolved.
1) can have 5 experiments
Your control experiment: will just be 50ml of HCl without any water added. Other than this follows the same set up as the other experiments.
(volume) = (desired molarity) (volume). Where to get your desired molarity you : 1mol *.050L/ x= desired molarity

where x is the final volume (volume after adding water to HCl. Remember to convert your ml to litres
Turn hot plate on to 30 C
Label 5 different beaker with lets say 50ml of HCL (constant) and the different volumes of water . You can dilute the HCl to the point where you have .75mol,.5mol,and .25mol .1mol. Here is an equation to tinker around with to get whatever moles of HCL you want to create:

2)Add the amount of HCl and Water designated for the beaker
3)Place on hot plate
4) Place thermometer
5)Before adding to each beaker measure the antacid to make sure that they are all of the approximate weight start timer after adding tablet and stop when a sufficient amount of the tablet has dissolved. Record data
Repeat steps 2-5 for each experiment
Can calculate data through a linear regression line where the time time is on x-axis and on the y-axis place concentration of HCl. Should gain a negative slope
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1127 People Browsing
 143 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586