How does salt affect catalase breaking down hydrogen peroxide
Read 54164 times
17 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
A heavy salt concentration would likely interact with the amino acids making up the catalase protein, thereby preventing its catalytic site from converting H2O2 into water and oxygen. Recall that NaCl breaks down into it's ionic form Na+ and Cl-. Any negative side-group would interact with the positive sodium ion.
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago
thanks, we used 3% and 10 % of both Lead (II) Nitrate and Copper (II) Sulphate, but im confused because when we did the actual lab lead nitrate no oxygen was released by the lead nitrate. does this mean it cant break down the hydrogen peroxide or doesnt mean it didnt denature the catalase? Undecided Undecided
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
A sulphate will likely interact with amino acids in the catalytic site. It wouldn't denature the catalase, it would just inhibit it. In fact, copper (II) sulphate is an irreversible, non-competitive inhibitor of catalase - so it likely inhibits it at an allosteric site on the enzyme. Recall, enzyme inhibitors decrease the activity of an enzyme. The better the inhibitor is, the greater the decrease in the catalysis. The rate of the decomposition reaction will decrease when it is added to the reaction mixture. I would also assume that the heavy metal, lead (pb) would also inhibit the enzyme, though I'm not too sure how.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Slight Smile Attachment
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago
omg i swear man you guys deserve an award or something youre soo F**** helpful man!!!!! damnnnn, i have to donate to this site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. not only am i learning better am also understanding better awesome work guys thanks.

p.s i may still have more questions lol

wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
omg i swear man you guys deserve an award or something youre soo F**** helpful man!!!!! damnnnn, i have to donate to this site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. not only am i learning better am also understanding better awesome work guys thanks.

p.s i may still have more questions lol

Yep, keep them coming.
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago
alright heres my introduction, please take a look at it and tell me what i can add or remove to making it really good, i need to do really well on this lab. I have attached it
 Attached file 
mkr97
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Disregard the attachment above, that just consists of the introduction. Here is the one have been working on, it consists of the intro, hypothesis and purpose. Please take a look at it and help me thanks.
 Attached file 
lollipop,  jesse906,  mkr97
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Disregard the attachment above, that just consists of the introduction. Here is the one have been working on, it consists of the intro, hypothesis and purpose. Please take a look at it and help me thanks.

buddah could you post it on here, like the part you need us to edit?
- Bachelor of Science
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago
is there another way, i can show you, just because i dont want it on the web, because i have to submit to turn it in and i dont want it 2 come up here
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
It won't get far if you post a section on here. I don't do side jobs for free Undecided
- Bachelor of Science
buddah Author
wrote...
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, buddah
Hypothesis

Part a – Catalase Concentration
If there is an excess in hydrogen peroxide and the concentration of catalase is increased, the rate of catalysis will also be increased; however, if there’s a shortage of hydrogen peroxide, the increase of catalase concentration will have no effect in the reaction; Therefore, the activity of catalase under greater concentrations of it, is dependent on the amount of hydrogen peroxide there is. This will be the case because when there is an excess of hydrogen peroxide and excess catalase concentration there will be more substrate binding in the active sites; however, if there is more hydrogen peroxide than catalase concentration, then the reaction will not occur any faster because hydrogen peroxide would have taken up all the active sites and there would be a bunch of hydrogen peroxide molecules doing nothing. If there is more catalase concentration then hydrogen peroxide then active sites would be left empty with no substrate to bind with, leading to a slower reaction time. To conclude, catalase concentration must be relative to hydrogen peroxide concentration for catalysis to increase.

Part b – Catalase activity under heavy metal ions
The activity of catalase under heavy metal ions: Copper (II) Sulphate and Lead (II) Nitrate will reduce the rate at which catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide. Copper (II) Sulphate will interact with the amino acids in the catalase; however, it won’t denature the catalase, since, Copper (II) Sulphate is a consider a non-competitive inhibitor of catalase it would just attach itself to another site on in the catalase molecule causing it to change shape so that the hydrogen peroxide molecule can no longer bind to the active site. This will result in the decrease of the decomposition reaction between hydrogen peroxide and catalase.Likewise, Lead (II) Nitrate is also an inhibitor of catalase; therefore, it will decrease the rate of catalysis aswell.

Alright here it is tell meh if its okay
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Part a – Catalase Concentration
If there is an excess in hydrogen peroxide and the concentration of catalase is increased, the rate of catalysis will also be increased; however, if there’s a shortage of hydrogen peroxide, the increase of catalase concentration will have no effect in the reaction; Therefore, the activity of catalase under greater concentrations of it, is dependent on the amount of hydrogen peroxide there is. This will be the case because when there is an excess of hydrogen peroxide and excess catalase concentration there will be more substrate binding in the active sites; however, if there is more hydrogen peroxide than catalase concentration, then the reaction will not occur any faster because hydrogen peroxide would have taken up all the active sites and there would be a bunch of hydrogen peroxide molecules doing nothing. If there is more catalase concentration then hydrogen peroxide then active sites would be left empty with no substrate to bind with, leading to a slower reaction time. To conclude, catalase concentration must be relative to hydrogen peroxide concentration for catalysis to increase.

The red contextually does not make sense; the green is perfect

Part b – Catalase activity under heavy metal ions
The activity of catalase under heavy metal ions: Copper (II) Sulphate and Lead (II) Nitrate will reduce the rate at which catalase breaks down hydrogen peroxide. Copper (II) Sulphate will interact with the amino acids in the catalase; however, it won’t denature the catalase, since, Copper (II) Sulphate is a consider a non-competitive inhibitor of catalase it would just attach itself to another site on in the catalase molecule causing it to change shape so that the hydrogen peroxide molecule can no longer bind to the active site (THIS IS CALLED THE ALLOSTERIC SITE). This will result in the decrease of the decomposition reaction between hydrogen peroxide and catalase.Likewise, Lead (II) Nitrate is also an inhibitor of catalase; therefore, it will decrease the rate of catalysis aswell.

Well done.
ogswag
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  432 People Browsing
 147 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?