3 black
4 albino

I deduced that the mice have the following genotypes:
Albino 1: aabbcc
Albino 2: AAbbcc
Agouti: AAbbCC
Black: aaBBCC

Is this correct?

Also, I am really unsure about the genotypes I predicted at the B locus.  Could someone please just explain which crosses I need to look at and why in order to deduce the genotype at this locus?

Thanks!
Read 3017 times
9 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
Albinism is an autosomal recessive condition (so aa).

1)

a    a
A  Aa  Aa

A  Aa  Aa

All Black, 0 Albino

A   a
A Aa Aa

a Aa aa

3 Black, 1 albino

What do you mean about Albino 2
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Shamrock Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Ok, I am actually looking to predict the genotype of the mice at 3 different loci (A, B, and C) not just one. 

The pathway goes C -> A -> B.  C stands for colorless, A stands for agouti, and B stands for black (in this experiment).  If the mouse has a dominant C, it can show color.  If it has two recessive alleles at C, it is albino.  If a mouse has a dominant C and a dominant A, it is agouti.  If a mouse has at least one dominant C and both recessive A's and at least one dominant B, it is black.   

So, in summary, with these five crosses, I need to figure out the genotype for every one of the parent mice (agouti, black, albino 1, and albino 2) at all 3 of the loci (A, B, and C).  My guesses are:

Albino 1: aabbcc
Albino 2: AAbbcc
Agouti: AAbbCC
Black: aaBBCC

But I don't know if these are correct.  I do KNOW for sure that the genotypes of the 4 mice at the A and C loci are correct, but I am really just looking for someone to help with the B locus.  Can someone please help me figure this out?
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, duddy
K, I'm not totally sure but I tried to find some sources that may help you to answer these questions:

http://tiny.cc/ly5sx

http://tiny.cc/mdiak (Question 7, scroll down for the answer).

See Attachments:
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Shamrock Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Ok, so after looking again at the albino 2 x black cross, I can deduce that both parents are homozygous dominant for the B locus or else there would be variation in the F2 generation (black and brown mice, not just black).   

So now all that I am looking for is the genotype at the B locus for albino 1 and agouti.  Anyone know how to figure this out?
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Top Poster
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free