l
a
s
Shamrock Shamrock
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, Shamrock
I am writing this for a lab report.  Here is what I have so far

The three loci involved in the regulatory and biochemical pathways for melanin production in mice are albino (C), brown (B), and slaty (A). Respectively, these three genes encode tyrosinase, tyrosinase-related protein 1 (TRP1), and tyrosinase-related protein 2 (TRP2).  Tyrosinase is a rate-limiting melanogenic enzyme which affects the quantity of melanin produced and thus, those mice with two recessive alleles at the C loci generally do not produce melanin at all.   However, if tyrosinase is functional, it helps to catalyze initial melanin synthesis because it oxidizes tyrosine to dopaquinone, using L-DOPA as an intermediate.   TRP2 acts downstream of tyrosinase and encodes DOPAchrome tautomerase, an enzyme which isomerizes the L-DOPA intermediate to DHICA instead of DHI, which L-DOPA would normally be converted to in the absence of the DOPAchrome tautomerase. TRP1 then functions downstream of TRP2 and metabolizes DHI or DHICA into dopaquinone which can then be converted into either eumelanin or pheomelanin.

Could someone please look at this paragraph and give me some feedback about what I need to do to fix it if need be?
Read 2773 times
1 Reply