r
d
l
a
vsrujan vsrujan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, vsrujan
About a week ago I began a school project in biology, where I was given the freedom to choose my own topic for experimentation. I wanted to test the effect of electricity on the growth of yeast cells. Im using optical density to measure the change in the yeast cell population of yeast - sucrose solutions that I have prepared in my school lab. After preparing the yeast - sucrose solution this is my proposed method:

Passing D.C electricity through each yeast solution:

The Voltage will be fixed at  6 V wile the current will be changed from 0.2 Amperes to 1.2 Amperes in steps of +0.2 A for each trial

Remove the napkin covering from the beaker to be tested

Adjust the voltage knob of the plugged in power box to 6V. Do NOT connect the wires while the box is switched on.

Place a hard cover with two holes over the beaker opening
Switch off the power box and connect a wire to each terminal (positive and negative) submerging the ends of the wires into the beaker solution through the hard cover
Switch on the power supply and adjust the current to 0.2 A

The yeast solutions must be subjected to the D.C supply for 10 minutes each.
After subjection, switch off the power supply, and remove the wire terminals from the solution
re - secure the top of the beaker
Repeat this procedure for the remaining 5 beakers in steps of increasing current by +0.2 A
Once completed, place all beakers back into the incubator at 30˚C, leave for 24 hours
After 24 hours, re - test the optical density of each as done in step III     
Calculate the change in optical density for each of the yeast solutions.

Here is the problem that I face. The solution itself is not highly conductive. At best i can pass 0.01 Amperes through the solution and no more. Some people have suggested that I add salt to the solution to increase its conductivity but the problem with this is that the electrolysis reaction will produce chlorine gas (poisonous) and more importantly sodium that will react with the water and form sodium hydroxide. This would cause the pH of the solution to rise and would affect the growth of the yeast cells.

What can I do to increase the conductivity of the solution without having bi products from a electrolysis reaction that affect the growth of the yeast ?

Appreciate any help   lol

Post Merge: 9 years ago

Please ignore the electrolysis reaction that I provided as it is wrong as you will notice! Instead Hydrogen gas and Oxygen gas are produced not NaOH and Clorine gas. The water level goes down and this may also be a problem. What do you goys think about the overall procedure. Is it flawed?
Read 1980 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Please ignore the electrolysis reaction that I provided as it is wrong as you will notice! Instead Hydrogen gas and Oxygen gas are produced not NaOH and Clorine gas. The water level goes down and this may also be a problem. What do you goys think about the overall procedure. Is it flawed?

My problem is by addition of salt, as salt might denature important enzymes that the yeast uses to replicate. Essentially, you are no longer testing the pure effects of electricity, but also the effects of salt. Therefore, what becomes your independent variable?

Interesting, a research article found here: reports: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0922338X97867785

The effects of electric current on the fermentation characteristics of yeast were investigated. When 10 mA direct current (DC) or 100 mA alternating current (AC) was applied to the culture broth, significant increases in cell growth and alcohol production rates occurred. The contents of higher alcohols, esters and organic acids in the culture broths to which AC and DC were applied, were different from those in the control culture (no current application). Several compounds such as acetaldehyde and acetic acid, were formed from ethanol as a result of electrode reaction.

It's unfortunate we can't read their procedures, otherwise we could model your experiment to theirs.
vsrujan Author
wrote...
I would probably have to keep a separate test for the effect of salt on the growth of yeast, but the salt I will add would not be too much in quantity (a few grams should be enough.) My independent variable, essentially is the current being supplied to the solution in amperes over a fixed voltage of 3V. Another way to look at it is the total amount of energy that is being supplied to the yeast given by the equation Voltage * Current *Time (seconds)
What do you think?

Yes the research article you found is one I have come across before. In fact, here is another such one which gives us a complete breakdown:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2002.01758.x/asset/j.1365-2672.2002.01758.x.pdf;jsessionid=8E717B9E6203D56C40275B7B4B824A24.f03t04?v=1&t=i4xxn4ad&s=b4553efd2f9b735df8d5cc8390eb103b869aa0e1

You can also see :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6412279

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
I would probably have to keep a separate test for the effect of salt on the growth of yeast, but the salt I will add would not be too much in quantity (a few grams should be enough.) My independent variable, essentially is the current being supplied to the solution in amperes over a fixed voltage of 3V. Another way to look at it is the total amount of energy that is being supplied to the yeast given by the equation Voltage * Current *Time (seconds)
What do you think?

Sure, you can argue that, or find the maximum concentration of salt one can add before it produces a noticeable effect on growth. This concentration value can probably be found on Google, so don't waste your time doing two separate experiments. In your paper you can write, "Although sodium chloride was added, past experiments dictate that the concentrations used in this experiment induce negligible results on yeast growth."

Time is your independent: What happens at 1 minute exposure, 3, 5, and 10.

First URL provided didn't work, the second doesn't give you the full text Frowning Face
vsrujan Author
wrote...
That makes sense.

The URL is not working you say (unusual, it works for me.) Thats really unfortunate, because the first one is a full research paper. But heres the main topic that you can type in google, you should get the proper link Slight Smile Hope it works.

"Effects of low electric treatment on yeast microflora"

One more thing you will notice (if you find the working link) is that the exposure to electricity tested in the research paper I found is in mA and voltage is between 2.5 to 3.5 V but the time of exposure is 18 to 24 hours . This is the reason I calculated the total energy given to the yeast because I cant keep the experiment running for so long in my school since the power boxes need to be used by other students as well for other experiments.

I condensed the time from 6 hours to 10 minutes (but I can also vary the time as you suggested)
and accordingly adjusted the current from (ex:) 10 mA to 0.1 A instead so that the total energy I supply to the yeast is roughly the same.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bio_man
The URL is not working you say (unusual, it works for me.) Thats really unfortunate, because the first one is a full research paper. But heres the main topic that you can type in google, you should get the proper link  Hope it works.

"Effects of low electric treatment on yeast microflora"

I came across that study earlier. Still unaccessible, unfortunately, for unsubscribed members.

Edit: My mistake, attached.

Curious, is this for high school or university?

Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
vsrujan Author
wrote...
9 years ago
this is for high school. I am in 11th grade.
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
In that case, exposure in minutes is good enough. Or have increments of 5 minutes to 30 minutes maximum.
vsrujan Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Yeah. I just tested the effect of a 2% salt solution on a sucrose solution (75ml, 2.5%.)
The conductivity has shot up a lot, and I could increase the voltage in steps of 0.5 and get a corresponding increase in Current, (i can not control the current because of the nature of the solution.) The electrolysis reaction is producing the two gasses, Hydrogen and Oxygen but I'm not sure at what rate the volume of water is reducing, this is important since the concentration of the solution (when tested with yeast) will increase and the colorimeter reading may change, or so i think. Nevertheless I can test time as the independent variable as you have suggested.

I just need to know:

1. How much salt to add

2. For how long the electrolysis reaction can continue at a specified voltage and current for the amount of salt that I add

3. How the colorimeter reading of the yeast solution changes after a complete electrolysis

wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
1. How much salt to add

2. For how long the electrolysis reaction can continue at a specified voltage and current for the amount of salt that I add

3. How the colorimeter reading of the yeast solution changes after a complete electrolysis

For #1, whatever you decide to use, keep it consistent, in all subjects - that's what matters.

For #3, how are you testing growth?
vsrujan Author
wrote...
The growth is by measuring the change in Optical density of the solution:
Here is the procedure for testing O.D (600nm wavelength):

Measuring base reading of optical density using the colorimeter (step III)
Remove each of the beakers from the incubator.

Wait for a few minutes so as to allow them to reach room temperature             

Using a pipette, take 10 ml of the yeast solution and add it into the mini test tube provided with the colorimeter.
Place the test tube into the colorimeter apparatus and measure the transmittance value.
Once finished with the first beaker, empty the contents of the mini test tube back into its original beaker and thoroughly clean the test tube with water

Repeat this procedure for the remaining 5 beakers and take each ones value of optical density.

Then calculate the change in O.D using this method after exposure to electricity after 24 hours . In this way we test how the change in O.D changes over a course of three days with exposures each day.

Also, I can not find a definite answer for how much salt to as so as to make the effect on the yeast negligible. Here is a research paper I found which is helpful though:

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dovepress.com%2Fgetfile.php%3FfileID%3D6633&ei=3KK4VLrXK5TVuQSznoGQDg&usg=AFQjCNEX5YyxIKlbAiCl-eybcng-HXB28g&bvm=bv.83829542,d.c2E

The link will cause a download of a pdf file of the paper.

Ok. Ive just come across another problem. The conductivity of the solution is going to decrease over the course of 3 days. How do I make sure the conductivity stays the same? By adding more salt and water? This Could again change the colorimeter readings. Man this is becoming complicated.

* Conductivity will decrease as a result of prolonged electrolysis reaction
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Also, I can not find a definite answer for how much salt to as so as to make the effect on the yeast negligible. Here is a research paper I found which is helpful though:

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dovepress.com%2Fgetfile.php%3FfileID%3D6633&ei=3KK4VLrXK5TVuQSznoGQDg&usg=AFQjCNEX5YyxIKlbAiCl-eybcng-HXB28g&bvm=bv.83829542,d.c2E

The link will cause a download of a pdf file of the paper.

That's good, but why overcomplicate it? Add enough so that you observe conductivity, that's the way I would approach it.

Furthermore, I don't see a reason for conductivity to decrease if you're not diluting the solution. Don't add more salt, keep it the way it is.
vsrujan Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Yeah I guess your right. Water level drop though? It  will change the concentration but i don't know by how much
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
Even if water levels drop, concentration remains the same in a homogenized solution.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1080 People Browsing
 156 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4