r
d
l
a
NewtoBio NewtoBio
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello, I would like to know about control elements located along DNA that activate and regulate transcription in Eukaryotes.

I would like to know about the core promoter region, i.e. TATA box etc., and any other important regions i.e. the function of the proximal promoter element.

Also what are the major differences in these regions in yeasts and mammals?

Thanks
Read 575 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
rsb
wrote...
9 years ago
Remember both mammals and yeast are eukaryotic organisms. Eukaryotic promoters are diverse and can be difficult to characterize, however, recent studies show that they are divided in more than 10 classes.

Ten classes of eukaryotic promoters and their representative DNA Patterns. The representative eukaryotic promoter classes are shown in the following sections: (A) AT-based class, (B) CG-based class, (C) ATCG-compact class, (D) ATCG-balanced class, (E) ATCG-middle class, (F) ATCG-less class, (G) AT-less class, (H) CG-spike class, (I) CG-less class and (J) ATspike class.

Gene promoters are typically located upstream of the gene and can have regulatory elements several kilobases away from the transcriptional start site (enhancers). In eukaryotes, the transcriptional complex can cause the DNA to bend back on itself, which allows for placement of regulatory sequences far from the actual site of transcription. Eukaryotic RNA-polymerase-II-dependent promoters can contain a TATA element (consensus sequence TATAAA), which is recognized by the general transcription factor TATA-binding protein (TBP); and a B recognition element (BRE), which is recognized by the general transcription factor TFIIB. The TATA element and BRE typically are located close to the transcriptional start site (typically within 30 to 40 base pairs).

Eukaryotic promoter regulatory sequences typically bind proteins called transcription factors that are involved in the formation of the transcriptional complex. An example is the E-box (sequence CACGTG), which binds transcription factors in the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) family.

Best way to learn this is to read through this article.
Source  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promoter_%28genetics%29#Eukaryotic_promoters
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1104 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?